Recipe review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San parker

Beer:30
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a NEIPA. Also my first all grain recipe. All criticism is appreciated.
Recipe is for single mash BIAB Infussion.

NEIPA:

OG: 1.068
FG: 1.017
ABV: 6.7%

12lb Pale malt
2lb raw wheat
2lb flaked oats

28 g Citra 12 Boil 5 min
28 g El Dorado 15.7 Boil 5 min
28 g Mosaic 12.5 Boil 5 min
43 g Idaho 7 14 Boil 1 min
43 g Citra 11 Boil 1 min
43 g El Dorado 15.7 Boil 1 min
43 g El Dorado 15.7 Dry Hop 7 days
28 g Citra 11 Dry Hop 7 days
28 g Idaho 7 15 Dry Hop 7 days
43 g El Dorado 15.7 Dry Hop 3 days
28 g Mosaic 12.5 Dry Hop 3 days
28 g Idaho 7 15 Dry Hop 3 days

Imperial Juice yeast

First - I've never made a neipa. But to me that seems like an awful lot of hops used during the boil. My understanding is you want to add most of the kettle hops after the wort has cooled to around 170° or lower.

I do a first wort hop, with warrior. Then I don't at any hops til flameout/whirlpool. So I would eliminate the 5 min and 1 min additions. I would take the 1 minute boil additions and make them a whirlpool addition at ~180F.

Also, I only do one dry hop addition, because of oxidation. I add my dry hops at 24-48 post pitch, during active fermentation. I love the imperial yeast, but find it rips through fermentation fast, so keep an eye on it so you dry hop on time. Sometimes my beer is at FG after 2 days(!!) If you want to do the second dry hop, I would do so in a purged keg before/during serving.

Last thing, I think too much adjunct. I would do a pound of each. I also add a small amount of honey malt in the mash. I usually add a pound of table sugar at around 10-15 minutes left in the boil to help dry it out. I also add a small amount of honey malt in the mash.

I am a big fan of this hop combo tho and I think it will be pretty tasty! Good luck

So eliminate the 5 min hop all together not adding those hops to any of the other additions? My plan was to dry hop at yeast pitch or high Krausen and dry hop in the keg.

Should I add more pale malt if I eliminate a pound of adjunct each?
How much honey malt do you use?
I will be starting with 7.5gallons of water.

Thank you for the feedback!

Hoppy beers like IPAs and more so NEIPAs are all about very late boil, flameout, whirlpool (hopstand) hops as well as dry hops.
Just adding 5', 1' or flameout hops is not going to cut it. It's duration of hop extraction at lower temps after the boil that's crucial.

15-30' of whirlpool/hopstands (or longer, or multiple) at reduced temps (180-150/140F) with a good charge of hops are an important part of the process.
There are many threads on these beers and techniques used. Study up a bit!
Here's our long and famous thread by Braufessor on NEIPAs.

Do you keg?
Kegging almost essential for these type of beers so you get to drink them fresh, and eliminate or severely limit air/O2 exposure any time after the initial oxygenation when pitching the yeast.

I would use 4-8 oz of Honey Malt in a 5 gallon recipe. It's almost a DIPA, so yes, use some regular sugar too.

What's your raw wheat, is that rolled/flaked wheat?

Thank you for the tips! I will definitely be doing some more research before this brew day.

I just started kegging and am going to attempt a closed transfer for this brew to eliminate some oxidation.

I was going to used flaked wheat and I think I will add some honey malt also.

Latest posts

Back