Recipe Request - Augustiner Edelstoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm looking for a good clone of Augustiner Edelstoff so far with out much success, if you have a recipe or a link please share it.

Many Thanks All.

aamcle IMG_20210827_171531_1.jpg

If you do find a good recipe, please post it here!

German Brewing | Dedicated to brewing excellent German Beer is defunct, but there seems to be some good information in the forum posts. They also created this pdf: http://www.germanbrewing.net/docs/On_Brewing_Bavarian_Helles_v3.pdf

Germany's hobbybrauer.de is usually a good resource for German beers. These days, browsers do a decent job of translating for the reader (but not the writer). Here's one Edelstoff thread: Augustiner Edelstoff - hobbybrauer.de

The process is the key... Augustiner uses techniques like removing the hull of the malt before mashing and adding it back directly before sparging to lower it's impact on taste.

This is probably the roughest one to clone, together with their Helles, which is just really really good.

Here in Munich, we call it "Schädelstoff" due to its reputation to cause a bad headache the next day. ("Edel" means "noble", "Schädel" means "head")
I have exactly one single friend that likes Edelstoff (needless to say, he is not from Munich).

I should add here that Augustiner Hell is basically _the_ Münchner Hell. If you bring anything else to a party, you will have to justify it (except for Tegernseer Hell, which has become quite popular in recent years).

I briefly searched skimmed the discussion on hobbybrauer.de, but there was little valuable information on how to clone it. Adding to what Miraculix said, Augustiner also makes their own Tennenmalz (floor malted), but it is unknown how much of the malt in their beers comes from their own production.

Latest posts

Back