Recipe % question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orchidbeer

Reaction score
When looking at recipes sometimes after the grain a percentage is listed, such as 2-row 68%. Does this refer to 68% of the grain bill weight or should 68% of the fermentable sugars should come from this grain?

TIA Joe

It's a ratio of one grain(fermentable) to another. I aways read that as a weight ratio. At least that's how I translate the info I get when I play with % ratios using Beersmith.

I always thought it was the % of weight, therefore showing how much of that grain makes up the recipe.

It's a ratio of one grain(fermentable) to another. I aways read that as a weight ratio. At least that's how I translate the info I get when I play with % ratios using Beersmith.

Yep. Easiest and most helpful to to do it that way so you can adjust for different sized batches if you up your batch size in the future or want to make a smaller batch.

Back