recipe - (need one)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvr2low

Reaction score
recommend one for me. there are so many to choose from i have no idea where to start. this will be my second beer so im looking for something easy, but it can be more complicated than just boil some extract. im not a huge hops fan though, so until they get more enjoyable ipa's and the like are out.

wheat/hef style beers are my favorite, but i also like non hoppy ales, guiness and other dark beers. really not that picky, im just not a huge hops fan and im looking for suggestions!

are lagers tough to do? my basement should be in the 50's right now so i may be able to pull that off, but i would like a quick turn so i can build up the "pipeline"

What do you like? That's sort of the first thing.

If you like Brown Ales, the one in my pull down has had a lot of people brewing it, and it's set up for whatever level you brew at..from extract with grains through AG.

Also I can't recommend enough the recipes of Yooper and Biermuncher. I've brewed some of theirs multiple times....BM's Black Pearl Porter is silky smooth, his Centennial Blond is the perfect quaffer, and people rave about his cream of the three crops.

One of my all time and most repeatedly brewed revipes is Yooper's dead guy clone..if you like Rogue's signature ale, her clone is amazing...I brewed it 3 times last year.

SO you got some choices...a brown, a porter, a cream ale, a bmc-esque beer and a clone of one of the best beeers around...

Got any 5 sided D&D dice? You could always roll for it.

:mug:

I'd suggest you settle on a style first. If you're not into hops & are just getting started, I would caution to suggest a Northern English Brown or Porter. These styles tend to be be very forgiving & relatively easy to produce well using the "extract with grains" method.

Check the forum recipes for either of these styles, you can't go wrong. Welcome to the obsession... cheers! :mug:

thanks for the ideas guys, you are giving me stuff to think about. luckly i have till next weekend to decide. rev i dont have any dice, maybe you can roll a set for me?

Y'know, I have big problem with this. I can never settle on a recipe and then have brewers remorse when I go with the easy out "box kit".

When you search the web and even a lot of forum sites you get lots of simple to crazy stuff. I don't brew enough to 1.) know a really good recipe from a crapy one 2.) experiment on my own with box kits. I want to get good beer every time since I can only brew 3-4 times per year.

Wish I could find an internet source for extract brews that are rated or "proven" for the occasional brew enthusiast like me. I have a clone book but its a little outdated. Guess I'll buy a better book while wait for the interwebs to develop.

Y'know, I have big problem with this. I can never settle on a recipe and then have brewers remorse when I go with the easy out "box kit".

When you search the web and even a lot of forum sites you get lots of simple to crazy stuff. I don't brew enough to 1.) know a really good recipe from a crapy one 2.) experiment on my own with box kits. I want to get good beer every time since I can only brew 3-4 times per year.

Wish I could find an internet source for extract brews that are rated or "proven" for the occasional brew enthusiast like me. I have a clone book but its a little outdated. Guess I'll buy a better book while wait for the interwebs to develop.

It's pretty hard to find a recipe just from a google search if you don't have alot of experience.

We do have only proven recipes in our database, in all styles and in all ability levels. You may want to try one of them.

It's pretty hard to find a recipe just from a google search if you don't have alot of experience.

We do have only proven recipes in our database, in all styles and in all ability levels. You may want to try one of them.

exactly, there is a lot in there and thats my issue, where to start!

[nerd mode=ON]

Using one die to roll, whether a 5-sided (not that they exist) or 20-sided to spread the curve still means the result is applicable to a bell curve (see DMG). That means the recipes arbitrarily assigned to either end of the list get short shrift. For better results, use 2d10 (d100) and assign percentile ranges of 20% randomly.

Table I - Random Recipe Encounter

1-20: Revvy's Brown Ale
21-40: Black Pearl Porter
41-60: Cream of Three Crops Ale
61-80: Centennial Blonde
81-100: Yooper's Dead Clone Guy

[nerd mode=OFF]

:p

Bob

[nerd mode=ON]

Using one die to roll, whether a 5-sided (not that they exist) or 20-sided to spread the curve still means the result is applicable to a bell curve (see DMG). That means the recipes arbitrarily assigned to either end of the list get short shrift. For better results, use 2d10 (d100) and assign percentile ranges of 20% randomly.

[nerd mode=OFF]

Bob

hahaha, a little too much thought into that one but i like your idea!

[nerd mode=ON]

[nerd mode=OFF]

Bob

You're my hero Bob!!!! :mug:

Thanks, Revvy! :D

To the OP: I think you'd be wise to choose a Brown Ale. Revvy's is Teh Awsum. If it's too strong at OG 1.072, there are others in the database. Or you could try something extremely simple, like this:

Southfarthing Special Ale

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.39
Anticipated SRM: 22.1
Anticipated IBU: 25.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 40 % (set for Partial Mash @ 40% to simulate steep)
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
75.5 5.00 lbs. Briess DME- Gold America 1.046 8
11.3 0.75 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
5.7 0.38 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475
7.5 0.50 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40

0.38 lbs = 6 oz.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 22.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 3.0 15 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05 or Wyeast 1056

I've brewed this in both 5bbl and 5 gallon brew lengths, and it's gone over very well.

Bob

:mug:
:off:
I just spent five minutes GIS'ing for a "Jesus Saves, everyone else takes full damage" picture for Revvy. Then I saw Bob's avatar. NVM.

Incidentally, rolling with one die does not generate a bell curve. The probability of any single answer is the same for a single die roll. However, rolling multiple dice or multiple times and adding the result quickly approximates a normal distribution.

Rolling percentage dice (roll 2d10, first roll is tens, second is ones) also generates a flat probability distribution.

[/geek mode]

Thanks, Revvy! :D

To the OP: I think you'd be wise to choose a Brown Ale. Revvy's is Teh Awsum. If it's too strong at OG 1.072, there are others in the database. Or you could try something extremely simple, like this:

Southfarthing Special Ale

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.39
Anticipated SRM: 22.1
Anticipated IBU: 25.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 40 % (set for Partial Mash @ 40% to simulate steep)
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
75.5 5.00 lbs. Briess DME- Gold America 1.046 8
11.3 0.75 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
5.7 0.38 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475
7.5 0.50 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40

0.38 lbs = 6 oz.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 22.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 3.0 15 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05 or Wyeast 1056

I've brewed this in both 5bbl and 5 gallon brew lengths, and it's gone over very well.

Bob

Thanks for the compliments, and this one looks tasty.

But what really looks amazing is the 1950's pilsner/lager in your sigline!!!

WOW...I gotta brew that!

:off:
I just spent five minutes GIS'ing for a "Jesus Saves, everyone else takes full damage" picture for Revvy. Then I saw Bob's avatar. NVM.

I live but to serve. :D

Incidentally, rolling with one die does not generate a bell curve. The probability of any single answer is the same for a single die roll. However, rolling multiple dice or multiple times and adding the result quickly approximates a normal distribution.

Rolling percentage dice (roll 2d10, first roll is tens, second is ones) also generates a flat probability distribution.

[/geek mode]

Doh! I sort of figured I had it backwards. (Should have gone to consult St Gary in the DMG!)

Again, Revvy, you were right. So if we were to assign 1d10 doubling the 1d5, we'd be in the correct parameters, right, JDS?

Revvy said:
But what really looks amazing is the 1950's pilsner/lager in your sigline!!!

WOW...I gotta brew that!

Be my guest! It's tasty as hell, and it's right out of the analyses done by Laufer and Stewart in 1958. Uses the average pounds per bbl for the grists, the most common hops, additions & IBU rates. The only trouble is the yeast, but even that is approximable.

Bob

I am kind of like you are. Only brew 4-5 batches a year. I found that brewers best kits are good quality and simple to make.

I like there Bold series Nut Brown Ale. Give a look and see what you think.:mug:

:off: Again!
Be my guest! It's tasty as hell, and it's right out of the analyses done by Laufer and Stewart in 1958. Uses the average pounds per bbl for the grists, the most common hops, additions & IBU rates. The only trouble is the yeast, but even that is approximable.

Bob

Bob:

Since you've been researching lager, any input or good places to start on a pre-prohibition style lager? I was figuring around 80% six-row with cereal mashed corn grits, protein rest, and decoct to saccharification and mash-out. It looks like OG in the 1.050 - 1.060 range would be about right, with ~40 IBU of "Old-Style" american hops.

Am I missing anything?

:off: Again!

Bob:

Since you've been researching lager, any input or good places to start on a pre-prohibition style lager? I was figuring around 80% six-row with cereal mashed corn grits, protein rest, and decoct to saccharification and mash-out. It looks like OG in the 1.050 - 1.060 range would be about right, with ~40 IBU of "Old-Style" american hops.

Am I missing anything?

Not that I can see.

The trouble with "pre-Prohibition lager" is just how far before Prohibition you want to go! There were plenty of all-malt lager beers being brewed before Prohibition.

If you don't have this article by George Fix, download and save it at once.

Bob

Thanks for the link, Bob. Fix was the jumping-off place for my recipe, although I see that he was using infusions. I think I'll go whole hog and decoct, though.

Since this thread is now so thoroughly :off: now, I'll talk more over in https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lets-talk-classic-american-pilsner-86376/. Sorry for the hijack, nvr2low. I second the recommendation for a brown for the second batch. Also worth considering is an extract-based mild, which would make a great #2, because they go from brewday to drinking so quickly.

Interestingly enough, here's NQ3X's own mild, which was the first hit when I searched: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/session-mild-e-51884/

Thanks for the link, Bob. Fix was the jumping-off place for my recipe, although I see that he was using infusions. I think I'll go whole hog and decoct, though.

Since this thread is now so thoroughly :off: now, I'll talk more over in https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lets-talk-classic-american-pilsner-86376/. Sorry for the hijack, nvr2low. I second the recommendation for a brown for the second batch. Also worth considering is an extract-based mild, which would make a great #2, because they go from brewday to drinking so quickly.

Interestingly enough, here's NQ3X's own mild, which was the first hit when I searched: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/session-mild-e-51884/

no problem, just a minor hijacking but you gave the thread back in the end!

thanks for the link!

Latest posts

Back