Recipe/hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gvan84

Reaction score
So i went into my LHBS with a recipe in hand, but they didnt have a particular malt i needed for my recipe so i improvised on the fly and went with something else. I grabbed 9 lbs pale, 2 lbs maris otter and 3/4 lb crystal 75. As for hops i grabbed 2 oz each of cascade, willamette, and hallertau. I dont intrnd on using all the hops i grabbed but a combination of 2 maybe. Anyone have any insight into what can be done with my inventory? I also have 1 or 2 oz citra as well, so i think i may have a couple options for this brew

You definitely got a few options. What do you usually like to drink? You could do a nice pale ale or an IPA if you like those. You might be able to do something like an easy blonde ale or even a lager if you have lager yeast.

EDIT - I take back IPA. I don't think you have enough hops for that. Even a pale might be a stretch with what you have. I think your options are something light and easy like blonde, lager or a kolsch or something along those lines.

EDIT #2 - What size batches are you doing?

You have a lot of options really. What yeast do you have?

You could make an (English-esque) pale ale type with the pale/marris otter and then maybe 1/4# or less of the crystal 75. And then use the 4 oz of the Willamette and hallertau.

Are you limited to the grains you listed?

You have a lot of options really. What yeast do you have?

You could make an (English-esque) pale ale type with the pale/marris otter and then maybe 1/4# or less of the crystal 75. And then use the 4 oz of the Willamette and hallertau.

Are you limited to the grains you listed?

I agree with something like what is suggested here. Only use 1/4 pound of the crystal 75 (using it all will be to much caramel/crytal sweetness) and then use the rest of the 2 Row/Maris. I agree with the Wilamette/Hallertau combo for something "English" like or you could go with a cascade/wilamette for a similar beer with a more "American" hop combo.

Maybe aim for a 60 minute/30 minute/0 minute combination of hops that gets you around 30 IBU's or so. If you are using the hallertau, use that late. If you are using the cascade, use that late. Use some of the Willamette earlier for your 60 minute and then you can use the rest of it toward the middle or end if you have some left over.

1056/1272 type yeast for an American type ale. 1968 for an "English" type beer. Would be good yeast options (plenty of others as well)

Either way, you should end up with a very nice drinking ale.

Not sure what your brewing water is like - But, I would recommend using low mineral water (reverse osmosis water). I would recommend adding 1 tsp of gypsum and 1/2 tsp of calcium chloride per 5 gallons of water you use (mash water and sparge water). I would recommend 1.5 ml of lactic acid per 5 gallons as well. That should give you a nice, simple, ballpark brewing water for a pale ale of any type.

Back