Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh Holt

Funky Brewster
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at making a pale ale with new world hops that finishes like a farmhouse ale (dry and ever so slightly tart) but has the flavour and aroma of an APA. Wanting it to be very sessionable.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking at something along the lines of:

OG: 1.049
FG: 1.007

85% Maris Otter
12% Vienna
3% carapils

.5 oz magnum 60 mins
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin 15 mins
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin 10 mins
.5 oz Galaxy 5 mins
1 oz Galaxy flameout
1 oz Nelson Sauvin flameout

1oz Nelson Sauvin dry hop 5 days
1 oz Galaxy dry hop 3 days after reaching FG

Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale

If you're looking for dry and tart, i would think about adding some Acidulated Malt to your grist and possibly swapping the Maris Otter for some American 2-Row. From my experience MO is going to contribute more malty flavor than an American base malt will. Less malty will give it a more "dry" character, and adding in the Acidulated will give you the mild tartness. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Thanks! And the hop schedule combined with the yeast would be okay do you think?

I've personally never used Galaxy or Nelson Sauvin hops. From what i read with a quick search though, i think it could be a really good combination with the Farmhouse yeast. I'd drink it if i saw it on tap somewhere. Good luck. Be sure to update with how it turns out.

You could always go 50/50 MO and 2Row. MO will be more malty. If that's what you are looking for stay with it. If not reduce or go with all 2Row. The yeast will lend some tartness to your brew.

As for the hops, I've used both. Galaxy can be overpowering. I would showcase the Nelson and cut back some on the Galaxy.
I would go with 2 oz Nelson at 10, eliminate the 5 min and .5oz Galaxy and 1 oz Nelson at FO.

As for DH I would go with one addition. I think 1oz of Galaxy will overpower the Nelson at your current amounts. If you want to keep 1 oz of Galaxy DH up the Nelson to 1.5-2oz.

Back