Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coinhall09

Reaction score
Hello has anyone brewed the marital bliss recipe from brew master ? And if so can you help me with the mash and amount of water for it. My buddy wanted a high gravity double chocolate stout so I figured this was close and I could add cocoa nibs in secondary. It doesn't say anything about strike water amount or temp or sparge water . Any help would be appreciated!

Hello has anyone brewed the marital bliss recipe from brew master ? And if so can you help me with the mash and amount of water for it. My buddy wanted a high gravity double chocolate stout so I figured this was close and I could add cocoa nibs in secondary. It doesn't say anything about strike water amount or temp or sparge water . Any help would be appreciated!

I don't know the recipe at all, but generally you want to mash with 1.25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. You can go a bit higher or lower, without any ill effects.

Then, sparge up to your boil volume. The temperature doesn't matter.

Thanks yooper haven't been on here in a few years kids new jobs ect , the recipe in total is about a 45 lb grain bill , then I found a similar recipe talking about a saach rest with 45 qts of water at 171 degrees . That confused me since my start volume says it should be almost 6 gal . Could I Bach sparge with this high grain bill since my mash tun has a S's braided hose or get a 10 gal igloo with false bottom and fly sparge ? Sorry for all the questions just don't want to make a expensive mistake.

Thanks yooper haven't been on here in a few years kids new jobs ect , the recipe in total is about a 45 lb grain bill , then I found a similar recipe talking about a saach rest with 45 qts of water at 171 degrees . That confused me since my start volume says it should be almost 6 gal . Could I Bach sparge with this high grain bill since my mash tun has a S's braided hose or get a 10 gal igloo with false bottom and fly sparge ? Sorry for all the questions just don't want to make a expensive mistake.

Sure you could easily batch sparge it, especially if you need to do two rounds to fit it in the vessel.

What size batch are you doing?

...the recipe in total is about a 45 lb grain bill... Could I Bach sparge with this high grain bill since my mash tun has a S's braided hose or get a 10 gal igloo with false bottom and fly sparge...

45 pounds of grain isn't going to fit in a 10 gallon mash tun. You'll be cutting it close with half of that amount of grain.

Also it doesn't matter if you have a braid or false bottom, you can batch sparge in either.

45 pounds of grain for a 5 gallon batch?? The most I have ever used was 22 pounds. That was for a 13% ABV beer.

45 pounds would require 56 - 68 quarts. Or 14 to 17 gallons. The volume is added to the grain so you are going to need a very large mash tun. I would say at least 20 gallons.

The temperature you need is related to how much grain, what temperature it is, and what mash temperature you want. Cooler give a drier beer, warmer give a maltier beer.

If the gravity of this beer is as high as it seems you are going to need a very specialized fermentation to get it to work. Start the ferment, add oxygen at a very specific point, add a second high alcohol resistant yeast strain at a specific point.

45 pounds of grain for a 5 gallon batch?? The most I have ever used was 22 pounds. That was for a 13% ABV beer.

45 pounds would require 56 - 68 quarts. Or 14 to 17 gallons. The volume is added to the grain so you are going to need a very large mash tun. I would say at least 20 gallons.

I just did a full volume BIAB mash in my 20g kettle. I had 25.5 lbs of grain and around 16g if water. This was a 10g batch of pale ale. I might have had a half inch or more room left. Now I use a SS mesh basket so I wasn't using the entire kettle volume but I can't imagine being able to add another 20 lbs of grain.

cmon you guyz, its 45lbs/5gal batch. just leave him alone, he knows what hes doing

I believe this is the recipe he is referring to. It's a RIS recipe but partial mash, adding the extract to bump the gravity according to the website I found. Still, it's 31.75 lbs of grain plus 5 lbs of extract. Calculated that out and it would be 1.164 OG and 10% alcohol at 70% efficiency as a partial mash? It's kind of confusing.

20# 2-row britsh
2.5# Wheat
2.5# Belgian Carapils
2# Crystal (60L)
2# Munich 2-row
1# Belgian Special B
1# Oats
1/2# Chocolate Malt
1/4# Black Patent
5# Amber Extract
6oz Northern Brewer (60min)
3oz Fuggles (5min)
1tsp Gypsum
1/2oz Irish moss at end of Boil
Yeast 1214 Belgian Liquid (And definitely make a starter!)

Sorry didn't say mash tun size I have a coleman 70 qrt rectangular . Here is the recipe I put together from two other stout recipes one is a rouge double chocolate stout clone and the other is marital bliss off of a app .
20 lb 2 row pale malt
3 lb car mal malt 120l
2.5 lb chocolate malt
2 lb Munich malt
1 lb spacial b malt
2tb ca rapids
1 lb lactose
1 lb 8 oz honey
And pacman yeast with a starter

What yall think of mash temps and water volumes?

Sorry didn't say mash tun size I have a coleman 70 qrt rectangular . Here is the recipe I put together from two other stout recipes one is a rouge double chocolate stout clone and the other is marital bliss off of a app .
20 lb 2 row pale malt
3 lb car mal malt 120l
2.5 lb chocolate malt
2 lb Munich malt
1 lb spacial b malt
2tb ca rapids
1 lb lactose
1 lb 8 oz honey
And pacman yeast with a starter

What yall think of mash temps and water volumes?

For volume, mash with 1.33 quarts of water per pound of grain (not counting extract). This can actually be anywhere from 1.25 to 1.5 quarts per pound, so don't worry about being too exact. This ratio works for any beer you'll ever make, so write it down. 1.33 quarts per pound.

For this one, I would say 154 degrees is an ideal mash temperature, but again, 152-156 would work. The higher you go, the more sweetness and body. This one will need it to balance out the alcohol level. If you mash too low, it could be very thin, which would seem really boozy and maybe "hot."

That's my 2 cents!

Latest posts

Back