Recipe Help: Citrus APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KozHops

Reaction score
My buddy and I are out to make a nice refreshing citrus forward APA for the spring. I haven't used Amarillo (although they are highly praised here) or Vienna malt before and was wondering if these are the right choices here. I also have some leftover Summit and Warrior hops in the fridge I think would bitter ok here. Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks! :mug:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 11
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 35
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 7° SRM
Mash-in @ 150
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days at 64F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14days at 64F
Tasting Notes: N/A

16 lbs. US - 2 Row
4 lbs. Vienna Malt
1 lbs. Crystal – 40L
1 lbs. Crystal – 20L

.5 oz. Summit (Pellet, 15.8 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.25 oz. Warrior (Pellet, 15%AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz. Amarillo (Pellet, 8 %AA) boiled 20 min.
1 oz. Amarillo (Pellet, 8 %AA) boiled 10 min.
1 oz. Amarillo (Pellet, 8 %AA) boiled 0 min.

1 tsp Irish Moss & 3 tsp. Orange Zest boiled at 10 mins.

I would ditch the summit and up the warrior to an ounce. I would lose one of the crystal malts, but that's just me. You won't be disappointed with the amarillo.

Maybe don't boil the zest. I would think you'd lose pretty much all of the aroma that way. I'd probably put that in at the end of fermentation and treat it like a dry hopping step.

I'd say do it without the orange zest if this is your first time using Amarillo. Whenever I use a new hop I try not to muddy up its flavors with anything else so that I can get the full experience.

If you like citrus, you'll love Amarillo. It's definitely my favorite hop, and probably the same for a lot of people on HBT.

One last thing: I've recently started letting my kettle sit covered after flameout for 15 minutes before turning on the chiller. I've found that it really adds something to the flameout addition. I made a Northern English Brown that had just a bittering addition, and then a 21g addition of fuggle at 0min. I did this steeping technique and was REALLY impressed with the depth of hop flavor and aroma. I couldn't believe it was only a 21g addition at flameout.

Something to consider for APA.

Yeah, I probably could do that, I was just trying to use up the leftover .5 oz of Summit I had. I do like the Warrior for bittering.

I'd say do it without the orange zest if this is your first time using Amarillo. Whenever I use a new hop I try not to muddy up its flavors with anything else so that I can get the full experience.

If you like citrus, you'll love Amarillo. It's definitely my favorite hop, and probably the same for a lot of people on HBT.

One last thing: I've recently started letting my kettle sit covered after flameout for 15 minutes before turning on the chiller. I've found that it really adds something to the flameout addition. I made a Northern English Brown that had just a bittering addition, and then a 21g addition of fuggle at 0min. I did this steeping technique and was REALLY impressed with the depth of hop flavor and aroma. I couldn't believe it was only a 21g addition at flameout.

Something to consider for APA.
Nice tip, I will definately give that a try with this one because I want that strong citrus aroma to come through.

And also, some people don't really consider this to style for APA but how about a small dry hop amount? Just a dash, like 7-15g for 5gal adds a little extra aroma without that sensation of "whoa, this is an IPA now"

And also, some people don't really consider this to style for APA but how about a small dry hop amount? Just a dash, like 7-15g for 5gal adds a little extra aroma without that sensation of "whoa, this is an IPA now"
Didn't even know it was out of style for an APA...I planned on adding about an ounce to the secondary if it calls for it.

I against ditching the summit. I use it to bitter with all of the time, doesnt matter the style. Ive used it to bitter IPAs, belgians, stouts....all just fine.

However, since you want citrus and its only a half ounce of summit, I would use that half ounce along with your 10 minute addition. When summit is used with restraint, it can give off these beautiful orange/tangerine notes. People are always talking about the onion and garlic notes from summit. Ive only gotten those from FWH or from dry hopping with them longer than 7 days. Much like simcoe and the cat pee, if used properly. summit can be an amazing hop. Considering only .5oz would be in the middle of three 1oz amarillo additions, the most it would do is punch up the flavor. You wouldnt get much of it on its own, but think of it as how salt can really being out the flavors of spices and herbs in cooking. It would add that extra "pop". Obviously, you will have to up the warrior addition to make up for it.

Also, I would drop the 1lb of crystal and use one or the other. I would prefer the crystal 20, but if 40 floats your boat, use that. 2 lbs of crystal, even in 11gal is still too much IMO. If you were to go with that much, I think you would need to up the IBUs. Between the crystal and Vienna, you will have a pretty malty APA. You can just add 1lb of 2-row to make up the difference

based on my advice
17lb 2-row
4lb vienna
1lb crystal of choice (even if you wanted to do .5lb of each)
.75oz warrior 60
1oz amarillo 20
1oz amarillo 10
.5oz summit 10
1oz amarillo 0

no need for orange zest

either way, with or without summit or with or without the extra pound of crystal you will have a good beer...enjoy

I against ditching the summit. I use it to bitter with all of the time, doesnt matter the style. Ive used it to bitter IPAs, belgians, stouts....all just fine.

However, since you want citrus and its only a half ounce of summit, I would use that half ounce along with your 10 minute addition. When summit is used with restraint, it can give off these beautiful orange/tangerine notes. People are always talking about the onion and garlic notes from summit. Ive only gotten those from FWH or from dry hopping with them longer than 7 days. Much like simcoe and the cat pee, if used properly. summit can be an amazing hop. Considering only .5oz would be in the middle of three 1oz amarillo additions, the most it would do is punch up the flavor. You wouldnt get much of it on its own, but think of it as how salt can really being out the flavors of spices and herbs in cooking. It would add that extra "pop". Obviously, you will have to up the warrior addition to make up for it.

Also, I would drop the 1lb of crystal and use one or the other. I would prefer the crystal 20, but if 40 floats your boat, use that. 2 lbs of crystal, even in 11gal is still too much IMO. If you were to go with that much, I think you would need to up the IBUs. Between the crystal and Vienna, you will have a pretty malty APA. You can just add 1lb of 2-row to make up the difference

based on my advice
17lb 2-row
4lb vienna
1lb crystal of choice (even if you wanted to do .5lb of each)
.75oz warrior 60
1oz amarillo 20
1oz amarillo 10
.5oz summit 10
1oz amarillo 0

no need for orange zest

either way, with or without summit or with or without the extra pound of crystal you will have a good beer...enjoy
Thanks for the advice dirty. I will def drop the crystal 40 and probably add another lb of 2-row. Will the vienna make this a malty apa? If so, should I knock down the vienna a little bit? I want this to be light on the malt and have more of a hop/citrus kick.

I like the summit idea, I've heard the same thing about the onion flavor but I guess that as long as I use it at the end I should be safe.

Back