Recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pillsburyjoboy

Reaction score
I have not brewed in almost four years and I feel a lot of the knowledge I once had has evaporated. I need some info from you all if you could.

I'm making a Falconer's Flight IPA. I am thinking of using some left over corn starch for a late addition to boost the FG- should I do this at about ten minutes? Do my malts look ok. What temps should I use for the crystal, and how long?

I am open to suggestions. If you feel I should totally change it, let me know.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427138187.758959.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427138206.187966.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427138187.758959.jpg

I am thinking of using some left over corn starch for a late addition to boost the FG- should I do this at about ten minutes?

Add Corn Sugar at flameout. The use of simple sugars in an IPA is mainly for increasing fermentability (reducing FG) not boosting the "OG". In order to accomplish this, you would replace a portion of base malt with corn sugar. Simply adding corn sugar on top of the fermentables will not reduce FG.

Do my malts look ok. What temps should I use for the crystal, and how long?

The fermentable amounts do not look okay for an IPA. The crystal malt situation is extremely high. Reduce the crystal to 1/2# or 4-5% of the grist.

Steep 1/2# of crystal 10 in 150-155 F water for about 20-30 minutes. While this is working, bring your main kettle volume of H20 up to boiling temps. A lid on the kettle at this point will speed up the process, but remember not to use a lid when you are boiling the actual wort.

When you reach a full rolling boil, add enough malt extract, preferably 5 lbs. dry malt extract, at boil start to hit roughly 1.040 OG. Add the collected, strained wort from the crystal malt to kettle when you have 15 minutes left in the boil.

When the boil is complete (flameout) add 1 lb. of Corn Sugar (or Table Sugar) and 4 lbs. of LME (or 3 lbs. of DME --preferred).

For the hops, I would focus on flameout and dryhop additions.

Add about 1 to 1.5 oz. of hops at boil start.
Maybe pepper in some hops at the 10 minute slot.
2/3 to 3/4 oz. hops per gallon of wort at flameout.
1 oz. dryhops per gallon of beer for 5 days.

What is your yeast situation? It is very possible to get the FG down to 1.014-ish with the right processes.

Shouldn't your boil gravity be lower than OG? That's a lot of Falconers Flight hops.
Just asking,
Dennis

As I said, I am just getting back into brewing and I forgotten much! I went for it. I'll post results once fermentation has completed.

A batch I did of FF ipa just finished . Almost identical recipe, come out really good. I wish I added 7 oz or corn sugar thou could be a little dryer. Your recipe looks good. Then again I'm just a rookie.

Alright. The batch finished and everything tastes good. I have racked to the keg and I am working on force carbonation. I cranked up the psi to 30 overnight. I just tested it and it's not quite carbonated. I need some tips please. I'm new to kegging and I need some help

Back