Recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
Trying to perfect my own amber recipe. Along the lines of Red Trolley ale. I know the website for red trolley lists the malts but I want my own take on it.
What do you think?

10lbs 2-row
2.5 lbs C60
0.5 lbs Special B

1 oz fuggles @ 60, 20 and 5 mins.

Denny’s favorite yeast with a starter.

I have most other west coast hops (not Willamette) if you think a better option would work.
Thanks!

Here is what beersmith says... overall seems like a simple recipe that should be a easy drinker.

Attachments

• Beer.jpg
    Beer.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 40
That is a higher percentage of crystal malt than most would have. I would substitute a pound of it for an equal amount of, say, Munich. You could also use minute amounts of dark malt for color (black patent, midnight wheat, carafa, etc). Other than that it looks very good.

I plan to do an Amber with Denny's fave as well. This recipe looks quite tasty imo. Mind if I borrow it?

That is a higher percentage of crystal malt than most would have. I would substitute a pound of it for an equal amount of, say, Munich. You could also use minute amounts of dark malt for color (black patent, midnight wheat, carafa, etc). Other than that it looks very good.

I plan to do an Amber with Denny's fave as well. This recipe looks quite tasty imo. Mind if I borrow it?

Thanks. Yeah the crystal is pretty high but red trolley do use a lot too. I decided to brew it tonight...just mashing out now! I added the special b to try and get that raisin taste and add another dimension.
I’ll let you know how it turns out in a month or so, but go ahead and brew it too haha.

This looks good - I agree with the C60 being high
Instead of Munich, I would do Vienna though - thats just me

cant wait to see how it turns out

I’m trying to cold crash my Denny’s yeast...after 24 hrs it’s still only half clear!

Back