Recipe Critique: Central Water's Peruvian Morning BA Coffee Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickinWI

Reaction score
It's about 6 months until the deep dark embrace of midwinter in Wisconsin takes ahold of us in it's icy grip. And I'm wanting to brew something to spread warmth and cheer!

There are a great many delicious BA Stouts with coffee, but PM happens to be one of my favorites. Not over the top syrupy or tooo high alcohol, not awfully bitter either. It's very drinkable, pretty smooth mouth feel, very well balanced. Hint of vanilla and great coffee nose - not over powering, but you don't have to search hard for it.

All I've been able to gather about the beer is that it is made with a base recipe of their Satin Solstice Stout. It's 8.5% ABV and at the brewery they use 1.5 lbs of cold pressed coffee per barrel, then they age it on bourbon barrels.

Central Waters doesn't give out info on their recipes, I tried. :)
I'm planning on brewing it Sunday for the first time as a 5 gallon All-Grain batch, BIAB. I'd appreciate any thoughts/feedback on the recipe.
I plan on using Nugget for my bittering hop because that's what I'm growing in my garden.
No aroma hops since it is barrel aged for a long time, the hop aroma shouldn't be very present.

Mash temp of 151 for good fermentability, and light body.

After reading a bunch of recipes I've put this together:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/55376/central-waters-peruvian-morning-clone

5 US Gallons

Fermentables:
14 lb American Pale 2-row
1 lb Toasted Flaked Oats
1 lb UK Coffee Malt
.5 lb American Black Malt
.5 lb American Caramel 80L
.5 lb English Chocolate Malt
.5 lb English Roasted Barley

Hops
2.0 oz Nugget 10% aa (90 mins)

80 minute mash at 151F, mashout 10 minutes at 168F. Rinse grains with 1.5 gallons water over brew kettle, and squeeze grains.

Boil 90 minutes
IBU 74
SRM 40
OG 1.091
FG predicted 1.025
ABV predicted 8.59%
Assumed efficiency 70%

Ferment with 2 packets of Safale S-04 for 2 weeks

Soak 2 oz Medium-plus toast American oak cubes in 8 oz bourbon for 1 day. Prepare cold-pressed coffee with 2.5 oz of coffee

Soak ground coffee in 1 cup boiled, cooled water and leave overnight, covered in refrigerator. Strain out grounds and add cold coffee and bourbon, with wood cubes to secondary.

Rack fermented stout onto this mixture and condition in secondary at 55-65F for 2-6 mos.

Thoughts? Feedback? This is my first recipe, appreciate the help!

I'll just eat my words :D

I say roll with this. It looks like you've done your research and the recipe looks very reasonable. I'm not very versed at predicting dark grainbills but it looks good on paper. Even the S-04 seems like it might work out fine. I'm excited to hear how this turns out! Have a fun brewday!!

Sooo.... I'm learning a lot about brewing lately. :drunk:

Ended up modifying the recipe at the LHBS at the last minute, and it turned out quite differently than I had intended.

I had my volumes screwed up in brewers friend. I only boiled down to around 6 gallons because I was planning on losing 1 gallon. Only thing is I only had enough sugar in there for boiling down to 5 gallons. :smack:

Ended up with 5.4 gallons of 1.076 OG wort into fermenter. Final gravity of 7.2% predicted

Bought Briess roasted barley which is 300L instead of 500L. :smack: Beer is dark brown, not black.

Substituted 1lb of cane sugar in place of 2-row to dry it out some.

Ended up having to cut my boil short to 60 mins instead of 90 so my IBU's weren't quite up there...

Here is what I ended up with:
5.4 US Gallons

Fermentables:
12 lb American Pale 2-row
1 lb Toasted Flaked Oats
1 lb American Pale Chocolate Malt
1 lb American Caramel 80L
.65 lb Breiss Roasted Barley

1lb Cane Sugar

Hops
1.0 oz Nugget 13.5% aa (60 mins)
0.2 oz Nugget 13.3% aa (60 mins)

90 minute mash at 151F, mashout 10 minutes at 170F.
Rinse grains with 1.5 gallons water over brew kettle, and squeeze grains.

Boil 60 minutes
IBU 46
SRM 31
Actual OG 1.076
FG predicted 1.021
ABV predicted 7.21%
efficiency 73%

Fermenting with 2 packets of rehydrated Safale S-04 for 2 weeks.

Need to really rewrite this recipe for an actual PM clone...

Pretty sure I'm not going to add coffee or oak this.

Due to the slightly lower alcohol, the brown color and the oats I was thinking of naming it Prince George's Breakfast Stout.

Not really sure what style it is! :confused:

Latest posts

Back