Recipe and Software do not match

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharaohpierre

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just got a Northern Brewer 3 gallon kit (BIAB, even though I am not brewing in a bag, I plan on using my Rubbermaid mash/lauter tun) called Oatmeal Cookie Brown Ale. Anyway, here are the mash ingredients:
  • 5.5 lbs Fawcett Optic Malt
  • 1 lb Flaked Oats
  • 1 lb Belgian Munich Malt
  • 1 lb Belgian Special B
  • .5 lb Brown Malt
  • .33 lb Fawcett Pale Chocolate

That is a total of 9.33 lbs of grain. The recipe says that the O.G. after Boil should be 1.066. However, after plugging the numbers into Beersmith I get an O.G. after boil of 1.076 with a 70% Eff. This gives me a beer with roughly 8% ABV after fermentation.

Why are these numbers not adding up. Plus, it does seem like this is a lot of grain for a 3 gallon batch. Help Please

Yeah, something doesn't add up with those numbers. To get a 3 gallon batch with those ingredients, your looking at a 55% eff. I tried to make it a 5 gallon batch, and even at 75% it came out 1.052. I dunno.....

The good news is, you caught the mistake now (and it's not on your end.) If you've got the equipment, I recommend scaling your hops to match and brewing a bigger batch!

If you don't, either resign yourself to a much bigger, maltier beer than planned, or discard some of the sweet liquor before the boil and replace with water until you reach target gravity.

Yeah, I guess my options are limited because they crushed all the grains and put them in a bag together. So, I can't accurately reduce my grain count and still get the correct percentage of grains. I guess I could just make a bigger batch of beer or take out some of the liquor as suggested above and replace with water. I'll figure something out.

Thanks for the responses

Agree with above options but I would also suggest you call Northern Brewer to see what they say, I find them to be pretty responsive and if they have a product that is screwed up they would appreciate hearing about it:)

BIAB is less efficient than your software thinks. If I remember BIAB expectations correctly, 55% efficiency is pretty good for that method. So if the kit recipe is formulated to that expectation, there you go.

You will get better efficiency from a non-BIAB all-grain brewhouse. At least you'd better. ;)

Me, I'd just do a 5-gallon batch, provided you have the kettle to boil the full volume. If you don't, just do what Coors and other large breweries do - brew a strong wort and dilute to the point you want. Google "high-gravity brewing" and noodle around. It'll become clear. There's nothing wrong with brewing a strong wort and diluting to a target gravity. It's not all that different than a concentrated-wort extract brew once the boil is over, when you think about it.

Cheers!

Bob

BIAB is less efficient than your software thinks. If I remember BIAB expectations correctly, 55% efficiency is pretty good for that method. So if the kit recipe is formulated to that expectation, there you go.

You will get better efficiency from a non-BIAB all-grain brewhouse. At least you'd better. ;)

I respectfully posit that you're insane. I get 83% efficiency with my extremely normal BIAB setup. I know plenty of folks who do too. If you got 55% on your BIABs, your crush is suspect.

Trail said:
I respectfully posit that you're insane. I get 83% efficiency with my extremely normal BIAB setup. I know plenty of folks who do too. If you got 55% on your BIABs, your crush is suspect.

Yep he's insane. I get 80% efficiency with BIAB and I don't even double crush.

Okay, okay. I've been misled.

Sheesh! :D

I've never even done BIAB. I've read up on it, that's all. I was giving what - clearly erroneous - knowledge I could bring to bear.

[scurries off to hide in a burrow]

Even at 1.066 OG, it's still expected to be a 6.8% ABV beer.

I would think that customers would be more angry if they can't reach the expected OG. I also think that there are some kit buyers who are new, and don't get good efficiencies. So, NB builds the kit with 60% efficiency. If you mix the grains well, you could use all but a pound of it and probably hit the OG.

Or you could just make the 3 gallons and get a 7.9% beer. There are two 1 oz hops additions. If you have extra you could add a bit more of each. But it's a brown ale. It's supposed to be malty and not particularly hoppy.

Or you could make a 3.5 gallon batch.

thanks for the added response guys. It makes sense. I bought the 3 gallon kit just because it sounded good. I never planned on using a bag anyway since I have all the gear to make 5 gallon all-grain batches. I am thinking about using the concentrated wort idea brought up by Bob.

Trail, you make a good point about NB, they can't assume that every brewer gets good efficiency so they err on the safe side and give you extra grains in the kits.

Satph, I do have extra hops laying around in my refrigerator so I'll probably just adjust my hop count for a 4 gallon batch

Thanks for the responses everyone,

Back