Recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bateleur

Reaction score
Hi brewers.

I’m just starting off (I’ve only done two 23-litre mangrove jack batches), and am wanting to experiment with hops.

I’m wanting to do a 10 litre batch with a smaller kit, but want to add hops to make a very aromatic and flavourful APA. Similar to Epic, or Pirate Life.

Which hops should I add and when?

A bunch of Cascade hops would be an obvious choice for an APA but you can try Centennial, Amarillo etc. as well. During the last 0-15 mins of the boil (you can add at several time points) and as a dry hop to get aroma and hop flavor. Some hops in the beginning of the boil as well - to give a little bit of bitterness to the beer. These early additions won't affect the aroma and hop flavor that much because hop oils tend to evaporate during the boil. To extract more hop character without excessive bitterness you can even add post boil and make some sort of hop stand.

Last edited:
Since I can't get either of the beers you mentioned to sample, tell us a bit of what they smell/taste like to give us a better idea of what you are shooting for.

I like the combination of Citra with either Cascade or Amarillo. Centennial wasn't my favorite, nor was Meridian but you might like them. All of them give a citrus aroma/flavor to the beer.

Back