Recipe advice please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockymtnbrewer

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to creating my own recipes and altering water, please tell me what you think. My plan is to make a brown ale somewhere between a NE and American.

Eldorado Springs water(100%):
Calcium 11.4
Magnesium 3.4
Sodium 6.2
Chloride .97
Sulfate 20
Bicarbonate 35.5

Water additions
2 g. Gypsum
5 g. Calcium chloride

Grains
9 lbs. MO or Am. Pale
1 lb. Brown malt
.5 lb. Crystal 120
.25 lb. Roasted barley

Hops
A combination of cascade and willamette to get about 30 Ibu

Yeast
Dry yeast, have not decided.

I plan to do a single infusion mash with 3.4 gal. @165-166 (152-153) for 60 min.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like a pretty good recipe to me. The only thing I question is the amount of roasted barley. Might want to bring that down from 4 oz to 3 oz, and perhaps add an extra 4 oz brown malt to compensate for the color loss. Otherwise, heck, I think I'd drink an awful lot of this stuff.

For yeast I would not go with Notty or even S-04 as they might attenuate too highly. I haven't used Munton's ale yeast lately but perhaps consider that one since it is only supposed to attenuate to about 70%. I wouldn't want this beer to dry out too much, but this comes down to personal preference. If you don't mind a dry beer then consider the others. In any case, try to ferment in the low 60s F if possible, and with any of these yeasts, fermentation should be done very quickly in a matter of just 3-4 days but wait a week just to be safe.

It looks good to me also. I don't have a grasp on water yet as I have just started making adjustments. I would not count out Notty or S-04. Those are 2 yeasts I use quite often. I think they work well in a brown. I haven't heard anything good about Muntons yeasts. Maybe they are getting better.

BTW, what is a NE Brown ale?

I agree with dmtaylor about the roasted barley. I would recommend exchanging it for a debittered malt (black prince or carafa special) to lessen the roasty notes. An alternative would be to use pale chocolate malt in place of the roasted barley. Personally, I don't care for a strong roast character in a brown ale. For me, it moves it closer to a porter in style.

On the yeast front, I would not hesitate to use either the Nottingham or S-04, but to compensate for the attenuation raise your mash temperature up to 156F - 158F.

Latest posts

Back