Recieved some "OLD" yeast packets that my father used. Can they be salvaged?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadwick

Reaction score
My father passed away 12 years ago. I have a brother that is moving away and he gave me a collection of yeast packets our dad gave him shortly before he passed away. He threw them in the freezer and forgot about them.

We have:
2 packs Morgans lager yeast
1 pack Danstar Windsor yeast
1 pack Danstar Nottingham
1 pack Montrachet wine yeast

Could these yeasts be revived using a dextros water solution and time? Yeah, they are really old. But since they have been in the freezer is there some chance that a starter could be cultivated?

There's no way, no how I would ever, ever use yeast that old. It's not worth it. Go get some fresh yeast.

And just because I could I would try a starter and see if it takes off. Really doubt if you get anything though

I've had bread yeast that was frozen for 4 years and still worked like a charm. Now 12+ years maybe pushing it on beer yeast, but worth a try, for a cup of DME.

Let us know.

You could try and toss the Montrachet into some apple juice for apfelwine, if you already have a bottle of apple juice in the fridge.

Lol. I posted this more than a year ago and I'm blown away that someone would reply. However, I will confirm that I did find a use for these old yeast packets. I would pitch one into the boil as a source of yeast nutrients for the good (fresh) yeast to use. I'm not certain how much it helped or didn't help. But it made me feel good to use them. The beer turned out great so its up in the air as too how much, if any, effect this had.

Back