Recharging fridge with freon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper77

Reaction score
Anyone ever do it? The side by side I use now my landlord gave me. He said he didn't trust the freezer in it. He recharged the lines with freon and for the past year it's been working great. But I came home yesterday and the freezer had defrosted and the fridge is warming up. I'm going to ask my landlord if he still has the freon tank and gauge to see if it will even take a charge. Or start looking for a new keg fridge. Anyways has anybody ever tries to recharge a fridge?

I havent done it on a fridge but i have done it on cars. There are fittings on the low pressure side and the high pressure side. If using the little recharge cans, the recharge is just hooking up the freon can to the low side and letting the compressor "suck" the freon into the system. Again, this is how ive done it on cars, not sure if the procedure is the same for a fridge.

Also, freon shouldn't get low. Refrigeration systems are sealed systems. If it is there is a leak in the system somewhere, recharging is a temporary fix and will happen again. Depending on how old the fridge is, or what your landlord recharged it with there is a dye that is injected into the system that will be present under blacklighting if a leak is present.

Start browsing Craigslist. Often you can find something functional for cheap. And if it's newer, the more efficient power consumption will offset some of the cost.

I don't know how true this is,but I was told by a repairman we've known for years that the newer fridges don't have the connector to recharge them. But they can be installed. Maybe best to look on CL for a better one.

Late model and even some older units do not have a fitting for recharging. It nust be soldered on and crimped off. Usually not an economical repair especially if it is an older unit. At some point the refilled fridge will eat the compressor due to restored head pressures on an old component. Best money is to look on CL or at the local appliance store for a haul off for cheap. The more economical unit will pay its way much more quickly than attemting to resurect an oldie but goodie/

Wheelchair Bob

It's relatively new. Newer than my last one. I use the ice maker alot for cool down while brewing. Since my landlord was able to charge it once already I assume its capable. If he still has the charging tank and gauge ill go that route. Money is kind of tight right now and I have 30 gallons to keep cool. If not maybe I can barter beer for a fridge

I bought a new, in 2006, fridge/freezer, to turn into a kegerator. I drilled a hole to run the CO2 inside, and hit a coolant line.

I called a local AC shop. They not only repaired the hole, but also installed a valve to recharge with coolant. I think it cost about 125 including the coolant.

Good luck

TD

Called the landlord. He loves my Homebrew. I explained to him their would be no more until I can fix this fridge or get a new one. He's swinging by Saturday to re charge it for me. The reason I haven't checked anything else is it was his fridge. He told me it had a leak and he had recharged it about a year ago. If I can get another year from it ill be happy. Just a bad time money wise right now. I poured a beer earlier and by the time the head subsided it was flat. I pay rent on the first and always bring him a 6-pack with the check so its in his best interest to help out. He's a pretty awesome guy and would help no matter what though

Back