Recently got into it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jjmwandell

Reaction score
So ive never been a huge beer drinker, however i found a beer i liked. Blue moon. I made a 5 gallon batch and i get to crack my first this upcoming friday, july 10th 2020. Can anyone give me any ideas on other beers to try that i may like? I tried my brother in laws southerntier ipa and wasnt a fan, ive tried a few ciders i like as well. Anything you guys can think of for me to make and if so, please feel free to leave a 1 gallon recipe for me to try!!
Thanks!
Justin.

Sounds like a trip to the pick-6 section of your favorite liquor store is in your future. I like to try a couple bottles from different breweries of a new style I’ve never tried before I commit to making one. That way you don’t have to drink a bunch of something you don’t care for.
Midwest Supplies offers some 1 gallon kits. One Gallon Beer Recipe Kits
Not a huge selection but there are a few styles you might like.
With a good brewing program, you can scale most recipes down to 1 gallon... you might need a good gram/ ounce scale to accurately weigh your ingredients if you stray away from a prepackaged kit.

I recommend checking out the one gallon recipe kits at craftabrew.com . They have a great variety of styles, including some hard ciders. I brewed several of their kits when I started out and was very happy with them. You may even want to try some stouts. I didn’t think I’d like them but discovered they are some of my favorites now.

So ive never been a huge beer drinker, however i found a beer i liked. Blue moon. I made a 5 gallon batch and i get to crack my first this upcoming friday, july 10th 2020. Can anyone give me any ideas on other beers to try that i may like? I tried my brother in laws southerntier ipa and wasnt a fan, ive tried a few ciders i like as well. Anything you guys can think of for me to make and if so, please feel free to leave a 1 gallon recipe for me to try!!
Thanks!
Justin.
Rather than jump from Blue moon to something super bitter like an IPA I'd encourage you to take more gradual steps. Look at beers in a similar style; Blue Moon is a Witbier so explore Hefewiezens, Dunkels, and other traditional wheat beers. Likewise others you would probably enjoy
pilsner urquell, weihenstephaner, a good vienna lager, maybe a saison (Tank 7 from boulevard is basically the intro version), possibly even a Trappist beer (they can be pricey, but Rochefort #8 is worth it).

Like somebody else mentioned do a couple of the build your own six packs and figure out what you like, then look at recipes based on those styles

I agree with the idea to try a variety of commercial beers to see what styles you do like. It's a relatively low investment, a couple bucks at the most per bottle, and you may be surprised.
Most larger beer stores will allow you to choose a "mix-six" as someone above mentioned. (normally I would say to keep your eyes open for a tasting event; reps from a number of different breweries and distributors giving tastes of their beer. A great way to try a lot of different beers, but I doubt any places are doing them now.
Take one bottle and build a pack. Try as many different styles as you can, over time you will see what's related how.
Take notes as you sample those, and you will likely find a few styles you'll like - brew those. OVer time your tastes may expand.

You like what you like. Try out other wheat beers. German hefeweizen leans more towards banana and clove while Belgian witbier/White will take you more into peppery, citrusy flavors more similar to Blue Moon.

Most witbier recipes are similar. Pick one and cut it down to one gallon.

Back