Received my custom stir plate today...whoohoo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister704

Reaction score
So I have brewed a few batches WITHOUT a stir plate and they have all been pretty big beers between 8% and 10%.

So with that I finally decided to jump on a stir plate since I have been told it makes a world of difference in your brews healthy start and such. Planned to buy the one from stir starters that comes with the flask and such but I opted for the cooler looking plate.

Won this on ebay brand new custom built with stir bar for $25. I have the 2000mL flask kit coming from NorthernBrewer tomorrow.

1947331_10100731628083363_833200801_n.jpg

I've got the stir starter and it's completely functional but this thing looks badass. Cheers on the nice find.

Sent from my iPhone using Magic and deception.

They are relatively cheap and easy to make yourself, but $25 is hard to beat.

Exactly. I was literally about to buy/build my own but then I spotted this with only 1 bid at $24 so i just took a shot in the dark expecting there was a max bid set. Nope!! It wasn't I bid $30 and ended up winning it for $26 in the last few seconds.

Nice. You will like the addition of a stir plate. Does all the work for you. I went the DIY way and built one with a project box and parts from radioshack and a HDD magnet. Ran me about $40 all said and done. $25 is a good deal.

I just bought one from that guy also. but it just throws the stir bar and doesnt work. any ideas?

Your stir bar may be too long. Pretty common to hear the 2" bars are thrown whilst the 1" ones work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just bought one from that guy also. but it just throws the stir bar and doesnt work. any ideas?

It's the darn magnets he uses. I went to a local hobby shop and picked up 2 magnets and mine worked without any issues since. I made him refund me $5 because I had to buy magnets.

well I took the fan out of mine and the magnets were right next to each other so i spaced them on opposite sides of the fan and it seems to work better now. what is the best placement of the magnets?

not bad for 25$. i made mine with a empty cigar box i had and other parts. cost me total $15 cause i had to buy magnets and a stir bar.

Back