Recarbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cncquinn

Reaction score
A few months ago I made a cranberry ale. I bottled with priming sugar and let them sit. I cold crashed a bottle and I have a lot of sediment on the bottom. I was wondering If I drain the bottles and get the sediment out, if I could re carb it in my keg.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The sediment is typical of bottle carbing.

You could pour it in a keg and then put carb with co2 but you are risking oxidation.

What are you trying to gain by moving to a keg?

I get your logic, but its not going to be worth it... Uncap 50+ bottles to pour them into a keg just to not have to deal with the priming sugar? No... Just keep them that way and you will be alright... Next time just go the keg route if it bothers you. You are risking your wonderful beer!

I have more sediment than usual, probably close to a half inch. I was thinking bout slowly pouring into a bucket then siphon into the keg. They are in 22 oz bottles and a large flip top growler. But if It risk oxidation than I'll just keep them bottled. Thanks

The sediment is typical of bottle carbing.

You could pour it in a keg and then put carb with co2 but you are risking oxidation.

What are you trying to gain by moving to a keg?

Just looking to keep it carbed so it won't go flat

I have more sediment than usual, probably close to a half inch. I was thinking bout slowly pouring into a bucket then siphon into the keg. They are in 22 oz bottles and a large flip top growler. But if It risk oxidation than I'll just keep them bottled. Thanks

You obviously haven't tried to siphon something carbonated! It's one of those "learn the hard way things", so I shouldn't say anything- but if you try to siphon an already carbed beer, you will have a ton of foaming, plus lose all the carbonation in the beer.

I'd keep them bottled, but if you want to gently decant them off of the sediment by gently pouring it into a keg, it may not ruin the beer too quickly and you'd have a couple of weeks maybe to drink it. That would foam like crazy, too, but it would be alot easier than siphoning!

Just looking to keep it carbed so it won't go flat

If it properly primed and conditioned in the bottle and they are properly capped why would you worry about them going flat? :confused:

If you keep the bottles cold for a week or two in the fridge, the trub will form a nice cake in the bottom of the bottle, just pour and leave it behind.

If it properly primed and conditioned in the bottle and they are properly capped why would you worry about them going flat? :confused:

If you keep the bottles cold for a week or two in the fridge, the trub will form a nice cake in the bottom of the bottle, just pour and leave it behind.

Agreed. A gentle pour allows me to pour off just the beer. The sediment stays pretty well compacted to the base of the bottle.

Back