Really?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesehed007

Reaction score
Ok so it's Friday night, date night. In Wisconsin that means going out for Fish Fry. So we go to a local supper club, good food, good service... We sit at the bar and wait for our table. SWMBO orders her drink, I ask bartender, "what do you have in an IPA"? He looks at me and says, "what's an IPA"? If it wasn't a local spot I'd of left.... Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Ok so it's Friday night, date night. In Wisconsin that means going out for Fish Fry. So we go to a local supper club, good food, good service... We sit at the bar and wait for our table. SWMBO orders her drink, I ask bartender, "what do you have in an IPA"? He looks at me and says, "what's an IPA"? If it wasn't a local spot I'd of left.... Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Good food, good service. I'm assuming youve eaten here before. Otherwise how would you be able to justify such comments. But then you don't know what beers they have. How does this happen?

I used to live in Wisconsin. I still visit my dad frequently in Mukwonago. Even some of the more progressive bars and dining establishments are kinda slow to change over to craft brews. You should be used to this by now.

jmendez29 said:
Good food, good service. I'm assuming youve eaten here before. Otherwise how would you be able to justify such comments. But then you don't know what beers they have. How does this happen?

I used to live in Wisconsin. I still visit my dad frequently in Mukwonago. Even some of the more progressive bars and dining establishments are kinda slow to change over to craft brews. You should be used to this by now.

Yep, eaten there a few times. I knew what was on tap, I was just wondering if they had anything new in. But is it to much to ask for a bartender to know beer styles? Cheers!

Is this bar traditionally known for a wide beer selection? A lot of places just don't serve the "good stuff" if it doesn't sell to their typical crowd.

drainbamage said:
Is this bar traditionally known for a wide beer selection? A lot of places just don't serve the "good stuff" if it doesn't sell to their typical crowd.

No, not really. And as I think back we were some of the younger ones there. So that may be my answer. Guess next time I walk into a place I'll have to scan the crowd ... :)

My experience has been that even some NON-chain restaurants just don't serve craft beers because only a small proportion of customers actually desire them. Often, Sam Adams has been "pushed" as either an import or a "premium" beer...and that's as good as it gets. I wonder how much influence MillerCoors and A-H/InBev have on both corporate chains and independent establishments?

glenn514:mug:

Yep, eaten there a few times. I knew what was on tap, I was just wondering if they had anything new in. But is it to much to ask for a bartender to know beer styles? Cheers!

In this case, I would have to say yes, it is too much to ask. While an IPA is a very common beer to us, it's not so common to BMC types. It would also be like expecting the bartender to be a sommelier just because they have a couple bottles of white Zinfandel for the ladies. Especially if you've eaten there before and know what selection they have.

As much as I want other people to be as excited about beer as I am, I don't get disappointed when servers don't know much about it. But in contrast, when I get a server who I can talk a little shop with, I truly get excited and make sure I reflect it in the tip.

jmendez29 said:
In this case, I would have to say yes, it is too much to ask. While an IPA is a very common beer to us, it's not so common to BMC types. It would also be like expecting the bartender to be a sommelier just because they have a couple bottles of white Zinfandel for the ladies. Especially if you've eaten there before and know what selection they have.

As much as I want other people to be as excited about beer as I am, I don't get disappointed when servers don't know much about it. But in contrast, when I get a server who I can talk a little shop with, I truly get excited and make sure I reflect it in the tip.

All good points. Guess I'm spoiled. Our favorite spot to eat is family owned place and the son who is the bar manager/bartender is a home brewer. So he is always bringing new stuff. Thanks for your thoughts.

daksin said:
Is it so hard to say "What's on tap?"

Not at all, as I said above, I could see what was on tap. I was just wondering what they had other then that. Thanks and cheers.

Latest posts

Back