Really low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfish83

Reaction score
I just began home brewing and have my first 2 batches fermenting now. Both are BB kits (an IPA and Robust Porter). I did everything by the book but in both occasions I got a lower than anticipated OG. For the IPA I got 1.050 when it should have been 1.061-1.065. The Porter was supposed to be around 1.050 and I got 1.031.

I am pretty positive it has to do with not mixing enough after i top with water.

The question I have is if this has any effect on the fermentation, or will it ferment just fine as is?

Thanks.

Hmm...an interesting dilemma. Are you sure you recalculated the gravity considering the temperature? The temp of the water effects the hydrometer's reading..though 19 points is a bit much. It also could be a faulty Hydrometer. Those things can be up to 7 points off (or more?). Test it in some distilled water at the proper temperature. In the future, shake up that carboy or bucket to introduce some oxygen (and mix up the wort and top-off water) and then take your reading if you can.

As for what you have now, if those readings are correct (unlikely if it's an extract kit) you'll just end up with a lower-alcohol beer. Everything should ferment just fine. Hopefully they'll still be tasty!

Well the first question I have is at what temperature you took your OG reading? Say it was at 95F the OG would then be about .005 too low. BB kits are pretty good at predicting the OG and FG so I doubt you did anything wrong brewing wise but you may have actually added too much water when cooling and that would give you a lower reading. Either way you should be fine and I would not worry because the worst it could do is lower your ABV half a point. Second question I have been researching all morning and cant get a straight answer from anyone. What types of hops come in the BB IPA? I know it is 3.5oz bittering and 1oz aroma but what are they?

Sounds like you didn't get a true reading because of the top off water. Take a reading now and see what it says.

The question I have is if this has any effect on the fermentation, or will it ferment just fine as is?

Thanks.

It will ferment just fine, as things come to life the whole fermenter will stir itself up into equilibrium.

Let it sit a couple weeks until it looks calmed down. Take a reading, wait 3-4 days, when the reading does not change you are ready to bottle.

Latest posts

Back