Ready To Brew In WI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krazy Bazturd

Reaction score
Greetings from Appleton, WI. I've got my equipment and I'm counting down the days until I brew my first batch, next week. I've been interested in homebrewing for a while and decided recently that it was time to stop thinking about it and actually do it. I've already gotten some great information here in the forums and look forward to learning much more.

Welcome to the forum! There is a bunch of info on these boards, check them out, ask questions we are here to help. Little hint, the search feature is key to help find info on specific topics.

Another cheese head, Wisconsin people love beer.

Welcome from Fond du Lac! You'll get lots of help and lots of laughs from this bunch. I assume you got your stuff at Homebrew Market? They're pretty helpful there, too.:mug:

Thanks for the welcome neighbor. I did get my equipment at the Homebrew Market and they were very helpful. Do you get your supplies from them?

MORE CHEESHEADS :ban:

Vincent 5:19
and Jesus Said, "Verily, Verily Cheese heads will rule the world. They shall brew and grill brats while giving the heathens of the flatten lands the finger" then Jesus high fived Matthew and had a shot and a beer.:mug:

Pumbaa said:

and Jesus Said, "Verily, Verily Cheese heads will rule the world. They shall brew and grill brats while giving the heathens of the flatten lands the finger" then Jesus high fived Matthew and had a shot and a beer.:mug:

I'm giving them one now.

Crazy Buzzard said:
Thanks for the welcome neighbor. I did get my equipment at the Homebrew Market and they were very helpful. Do you get your supplies from them?

Yup about 50-50 between there and Point Brew Supply in Stevens Point.

Yeah, we're flatlanders, fibs, etc.

You'll notice that we flatlanders don't need to insult you cheddar-petters. We're content knowing that we're better than you. It sure feels good to be smug.

Crazy Buzzard said:
I didn't know there was a place in Point. I'll have to check it out next time I'm over in that area.

Welcome! I'm from Fond du Lac, also. I bought my initial equipment kit from Homebrew Market, too. Like abelbrau said, Point Brew Supply is a great place, too. Unfortunately, they're about two hours away from where I live, so I don't get up there as much as I like. My first truly successful brew was an Irish Red Ale ingredient kit they put together in the shop. Man, was it good! The whole batch lasted about a week, consumed by a lot of people who assumed anything homebrewed would be crap... :D

My one issue with Homebrew Market, and it's not a big one, is that when I bought my equipment kit, it came with ingredients to brew a first batch. Those ingredients consisted of a can of prehopped extract, and some extra LME. Now, sure, those can make o.k. beers, but an extract kit with steeped grains makes such a huge improvement in quality, and it's not much harder at all to do. I kind of wish I would have gotten something more along those lines to start out with. But, like I said, it's a small complaint, and I do buy most of my stuff there. The owner is very knowledgeable, and more than willing to help out, which was invaluable to me when I first started doing this.

Pumbaa said:

You shouldn't plagarize BrewPastor's sermons without asking him first.

Welcome from Pell Lake Wis. I lived in Appleton fo several years a while back. I love that town, except that my ex- wife lives there. Maybe you could do me a favor, If you see a short brunet with a lot of money and a crazed look in her eyes walking around there could you ah ah err... nevermind.

Greetings from Madison! I'm not from Wisconsin, but I get some cheesehead status for being a Yooper. After all, it is Packerland and if Michigan had come out on top for the battle for Toledo, da Yoop would a been considered "greater Wiscosnin" today.

I'm new to the hobby, but fairly hooked already... Happy brewin'!

Go Badgers!

greg75 said:
Welcome! I'm from Fond du Lac, also. I bought my initial equipment kit from Homebrew Market, too. Like abelbrau said, Point Brew Supply is a great place, too. Unfortunately, they're about two hours away from where I live, so I don't get up there as much as I like. My first truly successful brew was an Irish Red Ale ingredient kit they put together in the shop. Man, was it good! The whole batch lasted about a week, consumed by a lot of people who assumed anything homebrewed would be crap... :D

My one issue with Homebrew Market, and it's not a big one, is that when I bought my equipment kit, it came with ingredients to brew a first batch. Those ingredients consisted of a can of prehopped extract, and some extra LME. Now, sure, those can make o.k. beers, but an extract kit with steeped grains makes such a huge improvement in quality, and it's not much harder at all to do. I kind of wish I would have gotten something more along those lines to start out with. But, like I said, it's a small complaint, and I do buy most of my stuff there. The owner is very knowledgeable, and more than willing to help out, which was invaluable to me when I first started doing this.

I made it over to Point Brew Supply last Friday. They were really helpful and answered a number of the questions that I had. Since the Homebrew Market is so close I am sure I will get most of the things I need there. But, being only an hour away I am sure Point will get a fair share of my business as well.

francesthebadger said:
Greetings from Madison! I'm not from Wisconsin, but I get some cheesehead status for being a Yooper. After all, it is Packerland and if Michigan had come out on top for the battle for Toledo, da Yoop would a been considered "greater Wiscosnin" today.

I'm new to the hobby, but fairly hooked already... Happy brewin'!

Go Badgers!

Yah der hey!
(For those of you not familiar with Yooper language, that means welcome or hello)

I think that makes a grand total of ........2 Yoopers on this board.

Lorena

lorenae said:
Yah der hey!
(For those of you not familiar with Yooper language, that means welcome or hello)

I think that makes a grand total of ........2 Yoopers on this board.

Lorena

I lived up in da U.P. for a little more than three years. From time to time I find myself wishing I was back up there eating pasties and watching the snow fly.

Crazy - you're lucky to be in Appleton - they have some tasty brews at Stone Cellar, cheap too. last time I was through there I spoke briefly with the brewmaster (whose name escapes me) and he was very friendly and knowledgable. Told me he'd ante up some yeast if I had a way to keep it cool for the ride home, but I was headed back to Ripon instead. He told me he starts with Wyeast and cycles it through about 12 batches before starting over.....

All you Fon DU Lac'rs - my son's done at Ripon in another 6 months which means only about 2-3 more trips up there unless his Volvo dies - I'll be the guy waving as I turn west!

Skol!

SBN said:
Crazy - you're lucky to be in Appleton - they have some tasty brews at Stone Cellar, cheap too. last time I was through there I spoke briefly with the brewmaster (whose name escapes me) and he was very friendly and knowledgable. Told me he'd ante up some yeast if I had a way to keep it cool for the ride home, but I was headed back to Ripon instead. He told me he starts with Wyeast and cycles it through about 12 batches before starting over.....

All you Fon DU Lac'rs - my son's done at Ripon in another 6 months which means only about 2-3 more trips up there unless his Volvo dies - I'll be the guy waving as I turn west!

Skol!

If I'm not mistaken his name is Steve, and he's the brewmaster and owner of Stone Cellar, as well as the owner of the Homebrew Market in Appleton.

Crazy Buzzard said:
I made it over to Point Brew Supply last Friday. They were really helpful and answered a number of the questions that I had. Since the Homebrew Market is so close I am sure I will get most of the things I need there. But, being only an hour away I am sure Point will get a fair share of my business as well.

Ah so you've met Katina? Knowledgeable, helpful, AND hot to boot! Can't beat that with a stick! Is their brewpub open yet???

Crazy Buzzard said:
I lived up in da U.P. for a little more than three years. From time to time I find myself wishing I was back up there eating pasties and watching the snow fly.

Mmmmmmm pasties! Haven't had one of those in ages! Yummy!

ablrbrau said:
Ah so you've met Katina? Knowledgeable, helpful, AND hot to boot! Can't beat that with a stick! Is their brewpub open yet???

She didn't mention anything about the brewpub, but that will be another good reason to make the trek over there.

holy waa!

glad to see another former yoop here. It never leaves. Wit watchin' da snow and goin' down to da Jean Kays fer some paaasties, well, der was not much else to do ya know, 'sides drinkin' or hangin' out, and sometimes we'd go Green Bay.

I miss it tho.

Back