ready for all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpbraun

Reaction score
I am a relatively new homebrdwer. I have done five 5gal batches from extract thus far. I am ready to go into all grain batches, I think. I would like equipment recomendations. Igloo? Rims system? Zapa lauter tun? There are so many items out there that it makes my head spin...
here in southern california, gas seems way cheaper than electric so I will likely work with a propane system. Eventually I will probably build a beer sculpture from 80/20 aluminum extrusion. I have worked with this stuff before in industrial manufacturing and it is awesome! But I have noticed that nobody uses AL for their home breweries... why?
I would like to start simple and add complexity/automation to my system as I go. I have a very tight beer budget and must build piecemeal.
Any and all recomendations area most welcomed!

I recommend keeping it simple when you switch but equipment changes that you do make do it with the future potential of doing 10 gallon batches in mind. Even if you do mostly 5 gallon batches all your life there are still those days you want to split a batch to compare yeast strains. So as an example, if you build a cooler mash tun, buy a big enough cooler to handle enough grain and water for a 10 gallon batch. If you've been using a 5 gallon kettle and now need to do full wort boils, get a 15+ gallon kettle instead of 10+ gallon kettle.

The most important thing about switch from extract to AG is learning your process. So focus less on equipment and spend more time thinking through and writing out your steps taking good notes along the way.

To answer you questions above. RIMS, IMHO, should really be reserved for advanced AG brewers. Especially since you're on a tight budget. A tight budget means your building your own RIMS and you need to know your AG process as you design your RIMS. I would recommend building a cooler mash tun. You can search on the forum for designs. But if you make a braid or build a manifold instead of buying a false bottom you'll be more budget friendly. Shop around for a large enough cooler, Sam's club has great deals on coolers here in MI.

have fun.

Has anyone seen a difference using a braud or bazooka filter vs a manifold vs a false bottom?

cpbraun said:
Has anyone seen a difference using a braud or bazooka filter vs a manifold vs a false bottom?

A question that can be asked a million times with a million different answers!

I use both. No difference. I like my manifold it's easy to clean and drains well. The braid is in a round cooler so it just seemed easier to go that route. Choose one. Do it well. And stick with your way. Every system is different the key is to learn how YOUR system works!

When I made the move to AG it wasn't too expensive or complicated at all. I bought a Bayou Classic SP10 burner, converted a 5 gallon igloo cooler to a mash tun (stainless braid and a valve), and bought 32 qt aluminum pot from Academy. Total upgrade cost wasn't much more than $100. It's worked out great so far.

Choose one. Do it well. And stick with your way. Every system is different the key is to learn how YOUR system works!

+1

Process is so important. The efficiency differences between the different types of mash tuns are negligible at our scale. For example: A bulk bag of Briess 2-row at my LHBS costs me $38. I think Briess is in 50 lbs sacks (I'm too lazy to walk down to my basement an check). That is $0.76/lbs. A 1.050 beer with 70% efficiency is 11.3 lbs of 2 row. At 85% efficiency I'm using 8.3 lbs of grain. A difference of $1.52. You may just be learning about mash efficiencies but I just wanted to use a little math to make the point of not worrying about it too much.

I brewed my first all grain batch... A comedy of errors...
Thermometer failed (apparently the probe should not be immersed) I have no idea what temp my mash was at for an hour....
Could have checked for conversion with iodine.... Except, I bought the wrong kind.... (apparently de-colored iodine doesnt work) Grain bed got clogged, post boil strainer clogged, and sanitation routine was questionable due to the fact that it was my first outdoor brew not done in the kitchen...
1.048 SG...
Allegedly a well hopped Pale Ale, but it could be anything, including an unfermentable mess by the time its "Done"
Guaranteed to do better next time...

Heh... Funny first AG story! To respond to the question about equipment, I just did my first AG batch in a no-sparge outfit that I built from a cheap Igloo from Sam's Club (60 qt, $28). I used about $35-worth of hardware from Lowe's including a braided "strainer". No-sparge requires a little more grain than other methods but it requires a lot less capital up front. Had no drainage problems - released about 26 quarts in 30 minutes, no sticking but did get some channeling when I opened it up too much. Ended up with an OG of 1.052 - higher than my target but I assumed a 65% efficiency. I am guessing it was more like 70%.

My first AG was a BIAB that I did a little over 2 weeks ago. I find it to be a very simple method with very little cost. My efficeincy was a little lower than I expected but it still turned out OK.

Back