Ready for All Grain- BIAB or 5 Gal Igloo Mash Tun or...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffceo24

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have at least 6 extract batches under my belt and I want to move to all grain brewing. I just can't decide on the best method since I don't have any experience with it. I will be making mostly IPAs and pale ales.

I have a 10 gallon kettle with a thermometer, bazooka screen and ball valve. I am thinking I may be able to use the pot as my mash tun with the bazooka screen. However I am wondering if the screen will clog. Also, I would have to drain the kettle, clean the grain out, then transfer wort back for the boil. I have a Dark Star propane burner. I also have a propane cook top in the kitchen but I'm not sure it would support a kettle with 5+ gallons.

Another option would be brew in a bag in my 10 gallon kettle.

Lastly, my brother may donate a 5 gallon Igloo water cooler to me. I can convert it to a mash tun with a ball valve and CPVC manifold or false bottom. I know everyone does it, but is it safe to have 152 deg. water in a plastic cooler for an hour? Plus, is 5 gal big enough?

I would appreciate anyone's opinion/insight. Thanks!

I vote for BIAB.

I think that BIAB with one mash temperature is best and simple options for beginning with All Grain of 5 gallons.

The simplest, and probably cheapest, way to go would be to use the 5 gallon cooler with the bazooka tube from your boil kettle. You could heat strike/sparge water in your BK, or use any smaller kettle for a hot liquor tank.

I use a 10 gallon Igloo cooler as a mash tun with nothing but a bazooka tube. I haven't had any problems in more than 60 batches with that setup.

I started brewing a little over a year ago. After 5 extract batches I switched to BIAB. I also started gathering the parts to make a cooler mash tun as I had planned on eventually switching to a more conventional 3 vessel setup. 15 all grain batches later and the parts for the cooler mash tun are still unassembled and gathering dust in a corner of the basement. I will caveat this by saying that I do 2.5 gallon batches so I don't have the need for a pulley setup for draining the bag. The thing I like about BIAB is the simplicity of the mash step. I mash right in the kettle with a blanket wrapped around it to help maintain temps, so I don't have another vessel to clean.

I’ve done small batches in my 5 gal Igloo cooler with no issues. Since I started doing BIAB, I’m not sure I’ll ever go back to mashing in a cooler. Do what you want to do, but the simplicity of BIAB is hard to beat.

Another option would be brew in a bag in my 10 gallon kettle...Plus, is 5 gal big enough?

I used to brew using an insulated 6.5 gal bucket with a false bottom for my lauter tun (mash in pot...mash out...transfer to lauter tun...sparge by pouring scoops of water over the grain bed). That 6.5 gal setup limited me to around 1.070 beers, less if I wanted to batch sparge. I looked into upgrading my system and instead I upgraded by replacing my lauter tun with BIAB. I cut an hour off a brew day, increased my efficiency, and my gravities are more consistent (where before my lauter process may or may not go smooth). I am a BIAB convert. A 10 gal kettle is perfect for 5 gal BIAB. Just find some blankets or a sleeping bag to insulate your kettle during the mash.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input! I already have a brew bag so I think I'll do BIAB for my first batch and go from there. Now I have to figure out my water chemistry. Thanks!

Back