Read this interesting story this morning...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"After years of research, we have found a way to produce a group of small molecules called monoterpenoids, which provide the hoppy-flavor, and then add them to the beer at the end of the brewing process to give it back its lost flavor. No one has been able to do this before, so it's a game changer for non-alcoholic beer," says Sotirios Kampranis. "

I wonder how the monoterpenoids (terpenes) they are making differ from the terpenes in products like this...

https://oasthouseoils.com/collections/premium-hop-terpenes
Must be pretty different to claim "No one has been able to do this before." Or else they mean the process of making/harvesting them is different, and the actual dumping into finished beer (alcoholic or not) is the same.

VikeMan, they are creating the terpenes from scratch, whereas Oast House are extracting them from hops.

A possible problem of removing hops from the brewing process could be linked to their antibacterial qualities. After all, dry hopping was originally done in order to preserve the beer. Mind you, they could probably chuck in any number of antibacterial chemicals to make up for it.

VikeMan, they are creating the terpenes from scratch, whereas Oast House are extracting them from hops.

Thanks. Yes, I was aware. I was trying to figure out what they meant by the words in the paragraph I quoted, because I would say Oast House has done exactly what they are saying (in that one paragraph). I guess the answer is that the words makes sense in the context of what comes later in the article, i.e. the specific process. Not that it really matters, I guess, but if I were writing it, I would have made clear what "it" was before inserting the professor's quote about being the first to do "it."

"to produce a group of small molecules called monoterpenoids" is the bit of the sentence he's referring to. I agree, it is a bit jumbled though.

While I think it's great for people who wish to drink NON alcoholic beer, isn't it sorta the point when you drink beer, to have some alcoholic effects? You know, that "little- sumpin', sumpin' "?
For most of the population this is probably true. Then there are those who cannot have alcohol, for multiple reasons, but actually love the taste of beer. For example, when I was pregnant a bazillion years ago, the one craving I had was for beer. NOT the alcohol, but the taste. I drank O-Doul's and tolerated it. The day I came home from the hospital the first thing I did was crack an MGD (this was the 90's).

Latest posts

Back