Re-yeasting lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyMcBong

Reaction score
Hey all,

I made a colt 45 clone (lol) a little over a year ago. It sat quietly lagering since then! I pulled it from the fridge and stole a sample, it was delicious! So I'm gonna bottle it tonight.

My question is regarding adding yeast. I've got a starter of the original strain (34/70) raging on my counter as we speak! Can I add a portion of this pretty much high krausen starter to my bottling bucket to add yeast? If so, how much would do it? Or am I better to let the starter finish, crash and decant so I can add only slurry? Also, if I go the slurry route, how much slurry should I add??

Thanks in advance peeps!!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a Colt 45 clone in the works!

I would recommend adding dissolved corn sugar to your bottling bucket at a rate of 1oz sugar per gallon of beer mixed in just enough pre-boiled water to dissolve it.

I would think 8 oz of the starter would be sufficient, and there's no need to wait to decant, IMO. My reasoning for the corn sugar is that there may not be enough sugar left in your starter or the lagered beer for the yeast to munch.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pK5HmuCMBM[/ame]

Thanks! I had planned on adding priming sugar as well. The starter was just to add yeast. Thanks again for the advice!

I'm gonna bottle it in 1l clear glass bottles then each bottle is gonna get its very own brown paper bag lollz!!!

Back