Re-using stressed bugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fathand

Reaction score
I want to re-use the yeast and bugs (WLP644, WLP665 and Jolly Pumpkin bottle dregs) on a new beer and I was wondering if the same practices apply for harvesting from a mixed fermentation?

According to Wyeast:
"Always harvest from a low gravity and low hopped beer. High gravity and/or highly hopped beers can stress the yeast and have detrimental affects on future fermentations. Do not harvest yeast from beers with alcohol contents greater than 6.5% ABV.”

The beer I am harvesting from is a 1 gallon batch and had a OG of 1.092 and was fermented with WLP644 to a FG of 1.018. I then added the 665 and dregs and has been sitting ever since. It has had a nice pellicle for a few months. This beer has the potential to be north of 9% ABV.

Do bugs get stressed like normal Sacc yeast? Was my OG too high for me to consider reusing this on another brew?

i've used stressed bugs with great success. i think by their nature they're used to more stress: hanging out in alcoholic enviros for months if not years on end.

Latest posts

Back