Re-use of WPL530

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasitim

Reaction score
I'm about a week away from kegging up my first Tripel. Pretty much followed Jamil recipe. Added some local honey directly to the fermenter as the fermentation slowed.

With the honey, my OG was 1.098. A week in and the current gravity is at 1.010.

I'm looking for thoughts on reusing the yeast. Possibly another Tripel but not sure. Anyone out there with experiences reusing WPL 530 at these high levels?

Recently brewed a 10% quad with WLP 530 and 545, and pitched a golden strong on top of the slurry. I don't have my notes in front of me but the golden strong fermented out nicely all the way, very dry, ended in the 10.x% range. The quad took off huge within 3 hours of pitching, the golden wasn't as active / quick and took more time to finish and also more time to bottle carb. Both tasted great.

You may be fine, but that yeast will definitely be tuckered out. You may be able to get them going with a good starter and yeast energizer.

In the future, I'd highly recommend harvesting your FROM YOUR STARTER. Just pour the first little bit into a sanitized vial or mason jar. It makes for a much cleaner yeast since it hasn't been exposed to stress and alpha acids from hops

Back