Re-pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
For those that re-pitch yeast what is a general rule of thumb for dividing yeast from a previous 5.5gal batch? Divide in half to re-pitch on the next batch?

Assuming the yeast collected is less than 1 week old and being stored in the frig. Also assuming I'll be re-pitching on batches under 1.060.

jbb3,
I'd like to suggest an alternative.
When you make your starter, make it a little larger, and save some of it. Put it in a jar in the refrigerator. The yeast will settle to the bottom and you can use that as the base for your next starter. Less work, and less risk of yeast mutation or infection.

Roughly a quarter of the cake is about right for a similar gravity beer.

I'd like to suggest an alternative.
When you make your starter, make it a little larger, and save some of it. Put it in a jar in the refrigerator. The yeast will settle to the bottom and you can use that as the base for your next starter. Less work, and less risk of yeast mutation or infection.

Collecting slurry, and straight pitching is a LOT less work than separating a starter and making another.

Roughly a quarter of the cake is about right for a similar gravity beer.

Collecting slurry, and straight pitching is a LOT less work than separating a starter and making another.

Maybe I'm missing something.
Making a starter isn't all that hard , is it?
Pour in some DME and boil it and let it cool?

You need to wash the slurry, and let it settle.
It may be faster, but there is more risk as well.
There is greater chance of infection, and of mutation.

Maybe I'm missing something.
Making a starter isn't all that hard , is it?
Pour in some DME and boil it and let it cool?

You need to wash the slurry, and let it settle.
It may be faster, but there is more risk as well.
There is greater chance of infection, and of mutation.

You don't need to wash slurry. You might not want to continue to re-use slurry ad-infinitium, but a few consecutive brews is OK and you will not notice any change unless you have really abused the yeast. Even slurry from a stout into a pale beer is not going to make any noticeable change to the beer. If you practice reasonable sanitation, you will not have any infection issues - I haven't and have been doing this for years.

Let settle a few days, pour off the liquid, and what you have is trub (that will fall to the bottom), some dead yeast (which is actually yeast nutrient), and healthy yeast

Using about a quarter of the yeast is about the right pitch if used reasonable quickly, and will reproduce plenty of healthy new yeast in the new beer.

So no starter, so a lot less effort than messing with a new starter. Starters are not hard, but are extra time and effort, and you have to make sure you have it ready for brew day.

Some will say to use slurry within a week, I will straight pitch it up to a month in the fridge.

As I said, you can't continue this forever. The yeast will eventually start showing signs of mutation. But for a few (to maybe 5) brews, go for it.

Like you I take a small amount from my starters and store them for future use, but I'm keeping mine for 18 to 24 months before I wake them up again, as I have several strains going at once, and rotate thru several others.

With respect to potential infection. I'm not sure, but there might be more opportunity with making multiple starters than using slurry. Every time you handle it you have opportunity for infection, and Ithink you handle it more by stepping up starters.

...snip ...
Like you I take a small amount from my starters and store them for future use, but I'm keeping mine for 18 to 24 months before I wake them up again, as I have several strains going at once, and rotate thru several others.

How do you store it for 24 months? In the fridge?
Do you freeze it, and if so what do you add?

I would think the viability is very low after 18-24 months. Make a 500 ML starter or less and let it go a week at least, refrigerate, decant, repeat , to step it up.

How do you store it for 24 months? In the fridge?
Do you freeze it, and if so what do you add?

I would think the viability is very low after 18-24 months. Make a 500 ML starter or less and let it go a week at least, refrigerate, decant, repeat , to step it up.

No real special measures. I take a quart from my Starter, then crash, and decant off 3/4 of it, and store the yeast in a half pint mason jar in the fridge. In some I replace the beer with distilled water after several months, when the yeast is really asleep. But I'm not religious about replacing the beer in a timely manner, some I never take off the beer.

I have had several that have lasted 30 months, just in the fridge. I just make a starter as normal, about 1.030, and they usually take off in a day. I can't say all have been that quick, but all I have woken up have worked fine - zero failures with many, many tries.

I have only lost one sample out of dozens. Some yeast cultured from a Duvel bottle. robably my second or third generation. When I opened the mason jar,there was obvious mold, so I dumped straight away.

I never intended to store yeasts this long like this. I really didn't think it would work. But I had so many yeasts going, that I ended up leaving them this long, and have not had an issue. If I find I can only do this a few times with each yeast (and there is no indication there is a problem) and re-use slurry say 4 times each. I'd say 12+ uses over 6 years for a single vial is not bad, when I'm using multiple strains of yeast. ............ I think I am on brew 25 for my PacMan strain, and brew 22 for my Essex strain, so I think I doing fine.

I seem to be buying 1 new yeast a year right now - for some variation. I really don't need any more yeast. last year it was a Brett strain. This year it is Mangrove Jacks Belgian strain I'm trying. I'm told that you can't harvest that strain, but I'm not sure why.

I'd keep yeast in the fridge I'm just worried my daughter would make a slushie out of it :D

But I will try keeping a sample long term, to see how it works out.
If it lasts a year, thats fine.

My first re-pitch of harvested yeast is off to a good start. Nothing fancy. I took the collection ball of yeast from the previous batch, stored 2 weeks in the frig, decanted off most of the beer off the top and let it warm up a bit. Once it warmed up, I swirled around the slurry and poured about 1/3 the slurry (eye balled) into the fermenter.

Eight hours later, it started showing signs. This morning, 16 hrs in, it was bubbling along pretty well. Now, around 20-22 hrs in, it's wide open.

I'm sure some of the purest yeast harvesters out there may be cringing, but it was my first very simple attempt. So far so good.

Thanks to those who provided input!!

Back