Re-pitching WLP029 for an Alt or an Oktoberfest or both..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyedoctodd

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have the yeast cake from a 5-gallon batch of Kolsch sitting in the fridge and i was going to split it between 2 5-gal buckets and do 10 gallons of EdWort's 'Oktoberfest Ale' with it. While that was fermenting I had the chance to try Alaskan Amber for the first time, and now I'd like to also try my hand at an Alt.

This is my first time re-pitching yeast. Was wondering if there would be a problem repitching into one and then again into the other after that - I'm thinking no problem.

The question is more like which order should I brew them in? Do the Oktoberfest next and then the Alt, or the other way around? (I have heard of people pitching a pale ale yeast cake into an IPA wort, but not the other way around for instance.)

Thanks for any suggestions!:mug:

Sorry if bumping this is not cool. I've never seen a post go almost 12 hours with only one view and no replies so I'm wondering if something went wrong when I posted the question above.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

The reason the IPA would be pitched on the pale ale is simply because the IPA would mask the pale ale entirely, where the other way may prove differently.

I don't have any advice for you other than to wash the yeast, it seems the safest idea if you are concerned about the brewing order. I only reply with my inexperience in hope of carrying you on until the next brewer pitches their 2 cents.

Good luck, and in any case, don't be afraid to experiment. If you need a yeast washing reference, our wiki has an awesome description.

Cheers

I think you would be fine doing a O-fest ale followed by an Alt, the differences between an o-fest brewed as an ale and an altbier will be largely in the addition of roasted malt and perhaps more aroma hops (depending on your personal taste). When repitching unwashed yeast you will want to brew a beer of equal or increasing roast and hop flavor. So you could pitch the cake from English Pale Ale into a stout, for example, but not the other way around.

Thanks guys,
The good news is I already have the Oktoberfest grain and hops and can brew that this weekend!
Then when my LHBS owner gets back from Mexico I can grab the Alt ingredients. This will give me time to research and plan that recipe. w00t!

Whatever settled out of the first beer and ended up in the yeast cake will probably do the same thing in the second and third beers. If you just use part of the cake to make an appropriate sized starter, you're pretty much guaranteed to get essentially no residual flavors.

Latest posts

Back