Re pitching under attenuated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

contraguy

Reaction score
I brewed a roggenbier and pitched WLP 380 (1.059 OG, 154F mash). Fermented at 62F and everything went great...except that it stalled out at 1.020 instead of 1.014 like predicted. I raised the temp and tried to rouse the yeast and got nothing. Can I pitch US-05 into the beer to try to drop a few more points? Beer tastes ok, if you like sweet beer, but I don't. Help!

I brewed a roggenbier and pitched WLP 380 (1.059 OG, 154F mash). Fermented at 62F and everything went great...except that it stalled out at 1.020 instead of 1.014 like predicted. I raised the temp and tried to rouse the yeast and got nothing. Can I pitch US-05 into the beer to try to drop a few more points? Beer tastes ok, if you like sweet beer, but I don't. Help!

Maybe the mash temp got away from you?

I've never managed to save one of these without using amylase, which at least in my case proves the problem was unfermentable sugars.

Did you make a starter, or just pitch the tube of yeast? It is a big under-pitch even if the tube was 100% viable (not likely).

It will be tough to get fermentation going again if you just simply add more yeast into what is now a very low oxygen/alcoholic environment. Your only hope would be to make a big stir-plate starter of an alcohol tolerant strain (think Belgian) and pitch the entire thing into your beer at the point of peak activity.

Conversely, if you mashed too high and have a lot of unfermentables, this won't help. Amalyse enzyme would get the gravity down in this case, but it is unpredictable, and you might end up drying the beer out too much.

I made a 1L stir plate starter with one vial. Any other ways to make a beer appear more dry? I am worried about adding enzymes and creating a super dry beer...this style should have some body and a touch of sweetness...I normally have the opposite problem, this is new...

Back