Re-Fermenting Oxidized Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurp Nuts

Reaction score
Last fall I made a few gallons of Mead. It was my first time doing anything like it, and the final product left a lot to be desired.

The two big faults are:
1 - Flat, and stale tasting. Almost assuredly from too much oxygen getting in post-fermentation.
2 - Leftover unused nutrients. I can easily taste a salty, "Flintstone Vitamins" flavor.

Add an incomplete fermentation on top of everything.

I hate throwing anything out, so the best plan I've come up with is to re-ferment the mead - throw it into a 5 gallon carboy, dilute, and make a braggot or something a bit easier. Will this solve the oxidization problem, or is the damage un-repairable?

Distill it, legal here in NZ. Not sure whether it is for you though.

Technically illegal, but the more obvious hurdle would be the practicality of it.

Yes I'm sure, my neighbour has the still / column and he uses that on top of a digiboil type boiler with temp control. I've never seen it in action, but have tasted the gin he made with it and it was fine.
I'm not sure how to address your oxidised product, I had a cider that oxidised in a demijohn when the airlock went dry, first it was like vinegar and then it went to acetone. No going back from either of those.

But I suppose you could encourage the oxidation and make some niche mead vinegar.

If our bees behave this year we will harvest some honey and I'll probably use some for a honey beer.

I heard jamil say you can take oxidized beer and add yeast specifically brett and it will reverse it even bring the color back, you know what i think? Thats a load of 🐂💩 if its oxidized its oxidized and sometimes we gotta cut our loses,id love to be proven wrong with evidence not words

You might get too wrapped up in the save it at all cost mentality that you quickly eclipse the cost and even of new grain and hops.

And with new, you stand a better chance of making a great beer. IMO

But maybe a fun experiment once.

Use it for mixed drinks. Mead cocktail has a classy ring. A buddy gave me a bottle of mead to try which the was very disappointed in. It wasn’t that good. So I made sangria with it and that came out really well.

Try to referment a litre, nothing to lose, at least you will be wiser. You can also try to add crystal or aroma malt steeped in hot water to it. Hopefully that will improve it. Let us know.

When my beer oxidizes, I mix it with a splash of grapefruit juice and it’s at least drinkable. I’d probably experiment with some juices and liquor to see if I couldn’t get something so I’m not pouring it all.

Latest posts

Back