Re fermenting a beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermaker

The NAVY WALRUS
Reaction score
Ok, neverheard of this, but im curious now. My buddy has this idea to apen a few beers. Say somekind of stout. He wants to let them go flat, then pitch a hefe starter in to see if he can reflavor the beer a bit and then force carb it. Kind of a franken brew. He thinks this would give him a choclate banana pudding flavored stout. Any chance of this? I doubt it, but sounds cool.

The Hefe starter won't do anything if you don't add more fermentables to the beer. I'd just brew a separate batch of Hefeweizen and blend the two when serving.

Commercial beers, like our beers, are fermented fully. There's not going to be any fermentables left, so only the malt in the starter will ferment.

If he wants to do this for real, he should just make a hefe the normal way, and blend it with a stout, after all fermentation is completed.

I agree, but he is convinced that the flavors from the yeast starter will blend with the original commercial beer to give him the flavor he wants.

Back