Re-carbing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccoelnslash

Reaction score
On my latest brew I messed up and undercarbed my bottles. Now is it possible to recarb the beer? I am thinking of calculating for carbing for the size of the bottles (mostly 22).. Then putting in 50 % of quoted to recarb.

Is this viable? All bottles are under.. Im gonna pull like 3 of my 20 left and do a 75%,50 and 25 of measured for the size of bottles.. I expect a possible bottle bomb or two. My biggest question is does it actually carb if I pop it put in the amount and then recap?

Thanks for the help in advance. Learned a lot to make sure your calculator has the right sugar selected heh.

You will have active yeast in the bottles to ferment the added priming sugar to bring the carbonation level up to a higher volume.

You won't have bottle bombs if you have given the yeast the time and temperature to completely ferment out the original amount priming sugar.

Poured into brew in bucket before bottling and stirred.. Dissolved over heat like books said then poured in.

Something similar happened to me on the first batch I made last year. Only in my case I did not stir. I put the sugar water mix in the bottom of the bucket and racked on top of it. The first case of bottles were slightly over carbed, and by the time I got to the second case, they were nearly flat. Apparently the sugar settled and was only in the bottom half of the bottling bucket which got bottled first. Anyway, I opened up my last three six packs, added a bit of corn sugar and recapped. Be prepared to recap each bottle immeditely after adding the sugar. Mine began to foam right away.

I boil the corn sugar with 2C water for like 10 min just to sanitize then I cool it to within 15deg of what my beer is and I cold crash so I pull my bucket/fermenter in the morning to let it warm a little before bottling. Then I dump in the priming mix when it hits the right temp and rack on top of it then I take s sanitized mash paddle, the plastic kit one, and very gently stir the bottling bucket. So far if one beer is carbed they're all carbed pretty evenly.

Back