Re-Brewing a Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prymal

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am going to re-brew a blonde ale and would love some help changing up the hops. This beer has been well received by both my LHBC and my regular beer drinkin' friends.

The biggest comment I get is that it smells like Juicy Fruit gum. I would like to move away from that flavor toward something a little more crisp. below is the recipe

9.00 gal RO Water Water 1 -
8.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
4.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

8 lbs Brewer's Malt, 2-Row, Premium (Great Western) (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 86.5 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 5 10.8 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.7 %

0.25 oz Magnum [13.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 14.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 2.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Aroma Steep 20.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Aroma Steep 20.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -
1.00 tsp Gelatin (1 Day after Kegging) Fining 13 -

If you're trying to brew a Blonde Ale to style, I would probably drop the flavor and aroma hop additions and use a single 60 minute hop addition with a low alpha American hop like Willamette, Cascade, Mt. Hood, and/or Crystal. While it's a subtle beer, it should be more malt focused and malt balanced. I'd probably add a little (about 5% or less) of crystal 10 or 15 for a little malt sweetness.

The honey malt adds more then enough sweetness for this beer. I plan to drop the whirlpool hops but leave the 5 min addition. I am really looking for a nice combination of hops that is more earthy/spicy with a hint of citrus. Any suggestions would be great. Maybe chinook and cascade or chinook and willamette? What do you think?

I have Motueka as the sole flavor/aroma hop in a belgian blonde I am ready to keg, and a saison I brewed today. As these are not ready so I cannot speak to the results, but from what I have read I think this is a nice unique hop that will give a good but subtle flavor to a blonde that can be enjoyed by BMC drinkers and craft drinkers alike. From what I read the aroma may be lemon/lime, slight tropical fruit, slight spice (has saaz lineage). I like your grain bill, can bitter with magnum for enough ibus and then late addition of motueka. Perhaps others can comment.

The honey malt adds more then enough sweetness for this beer. I plan to drop the whirlpool hops but leave the 5 min addition. I am really looking for a nice combination of hops that is more earthy/spicy with a hint of citrus. Any suggestions would be great. Maybe chinook and cascade or chinook and willamette? What do you think?

Sorry, I meant to say to sub the honey malt for the light crystal, if you were going for a traditional Blonde.

Based on what you're going for, I would actually bitter with something like Amarillo or Cascade and use Willamette or Fuggles as the 5 min addition. In a light beer style like this, you'll still get a nice citrus note from the bittering addiiton balanced with the fruity, floral earthy character of Willamette. I brew an American Wheat with the Amarillo, Willamette combo that's pretty well received. You can also add a little Saaz or Perle hops with the Willy if you want a little more spice character.

Latest posts

Back