Re-bottle a carbed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joenads

Reaction score
Has anyone every opened a carbed bottle only to re bottle it? I found out there is a hamebrew comp coming up and they only want 12 ounce bottles (is this standard, I'm still pretty new to homebrewing?). Ive only got my beers in 22 ounce bottles. I was wondering if I could open one of the bombers up and carefully pour it into a 12 ounce bottle and re cap (might get some oxidation though). I just bottled my belgian saturday and was thinking of trying it with that one too. Entries are due on the 31st of this month with the competition on april 4th.

The immediate problem would be the loss of carbonation, the oxidation wouldn't really affect flavor in the short term but will cause stability problems and off flavors down the road. I don't know how much carbonation would be lost transferring bottles but what the hell go for it, I would just transfer and drop off on the last day of submission to retain as much carbonation as you can!

2 months for the one, the other was just bottled, so there probably isn't much carbination yet.

Even if you used the just bottled guys, I'm not sure if the beer would be stable upon opening and transferring to another bottle. unless if you can rig BM's beer gun idea and use the bleeder valve to push Co2 from the full 22oz bottle to transfer into the 12oz bottle without splashing or exposing to much air.

If you are wanting to keep competitions in mind use 12oz long neck brown bottles with no logos. If you just want a judge to critique your beer without entering into a contest you could always try asking. Local homebrew clubs can also help with that.

Latest posts

Back