Rdwhahb????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd38

Reaction score
Brewed a Wheat 10 days ago, I was taking a gravity reading and noticed the lid wasnt on properly. One portion of it was popped up a little bit. Gravity was 1.030. Fermented below 70 the whole time, do I just need to give it more time, go get yeast or what. This is my 5th batch so I am just being a worried noob.

Thanks guys

What kind of yeast did you use?

And yeah, probably just need to give it more time. And don't worry about the lid not being totally sealed, it's not a huge deal.

Oh man I'm really sorry I used wyeast 1010, SG 1.051. Simple extract recipe 6 lbs of Wheat DME 1.5 oz of hops. Nothing special

cd38 said:
Oh man I'm really sorry I used wyeast 1010, SG 1.051. Simple extract recipe 6 lbs of Wheat DME 1.5 oz of hops. Nothing special

Good info. You know the yeast is working (because of the decrease in gravity). If you are concerned that the yeast are slowing down, you can try to rouse them - gently swirl the carboy/bucket and raise the temp to 70ish. But I think it is likely that your beer will be fine without doing anything - other than showing patience.

Thats what we are here for. I'd go with the rousing technique also. Sometimes I get bored of just watching bubbles and want to see some tapeworms floating through my beer.

Tapeworm
3360-yeast-thingy.jpg

Tapeworm??? Never heard of that, still had alot of krausen floating at the top though

Yeah, when you do AG you end up with proteins that coagulate together during fermentation and the yeast will grow on it. As the yeast eat the sugars they produce the co2 and it makes the coagulation of protein rise and fall throughout the wort. I usually have some pretty violent fermentation's also. It ends up looking like a long yellow/tan worm that undulates throughout the beer. Looks pretty cool, I'll post a vid next time I see one

It really gives you a certain sense it is alive. I've had them look like a tornado is going in the middle.

Back