raw water in the wort, help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maegnar

Reaction score
I'm in despair.

It's my brewnight and I'm almost finished - done boiling the wort and left it in a bath tub to cill. and long story short, raw water got into the wort. and quite a bit - it was 11 litres of wort when I left it and now it's 14 l.

Is the beer savable yet?

I'm doing the second batch of the same beer, so i will have a 22l beer with 3 liters of raw water.

Should I boil it for a few hours? or just dump it be satisfied with 11 l left from the second batch?

I'm brewing a hefeweizen.
Raw water is from the tap.
No, there is no chance of fermenting separately.

I would definitely reboil it until you get back to the anticipated OG, this will ensure you get the beer you expected as the extra water will get boiled off, probably gonna take more than 10 minutes though :)

Same thing happened to my friend - bath tub shower fixture got bumped and "rained in his brew". Re-boil for 30 minutes, check gravity, and go from there. At least yeast wasn't pitched yet.

I would definitely reboil it until you get back to the anticipated OG, this will ensure you get the beer you expected as the extra water will get boiled off, probably gonna take more than 10 minutes though :)

This is a good point. Would the hop oils that are already in the wort affect the IBUs if you reboil it for too long though?

If it would, you could just dump 3 liters of the diluted wort, and after a 10 min purification boil, mix the remaining 11 liters with the other full strength batch. The beer is only about 10% diluted over the whole batch that way.

Would the hop oils that are already in the wort affect the IBUs if you reboil it for too long though?

If it would, you could just dump 3 liters of the diluted wort, and after a 10 min purification boil, mix the remaining 11 liters with the other full strength batch. The beer is only about 10% diluted over the whole batch that way.

Already heating up the stove, preparing for a reboil...
Another good point about IBU. Anyone knows how the oils will react?

I would imagine you would add additional ibus if the hop material is still present. Hop oil extracted from the 60m mark may start to break down. If you dont boil over 30m I don't think it will be a big deal swing as the batch was 10% diluted and is getting added to another undiluted batch.

Might need some more ice to chill though...

Honestly not even sure how to recalculate the IBU's based on the rebook but I would imagine it shouldn't really make a big difference, better than drinking watered down beer, I highly doubt the risk of infection unless you really have crappy water. I'd re- boil it regardless.

No, I do not think so.
But anyway - the beer is already pitched and bubbling. The OG is pretty low - only 1,036, but hopefully everything will be fine and I will have myself a 3,5 ABV summer refreshment beer.

Back