Raw beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadserious

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has done a raw beer? If so any advice? I’d like to try one, my current rough recipe is:
71% 2-row
5% carafoam
21% wheat
3% honey malt

7.8 ibu of chinook (mash hop)

Pitching suburban Brett from imperial. This beer will primary ferment in a port wine barrel. I’ve got a beer currently in this barrel so it will be a secondary batch in this barrel.

in the words of 'bill and ted'...whoa....i've seen this, and just because i'm bored...i've converted 20lb bags of rice, and spraged with hot tap water, straight into my fermenter, then dry hopped that....was pretty good....

edit: wait...what IS 'raw beer'? i was thinking no boil? mash hop and all...now i think i just sound uneducated?

There are threads about no-boil/raw beer in other sections of the forum.

I've done a no-boil Berliner.
It's not much different than normal brewing except it's problematic adding bitterness without boiling the hops, and there's a little higher risk of contamination.

I have done a couple of no boil Flanders Red. Pitched with Roeslare and dregs. So far so good. Also done a co pitched sour a few times following RHP guy's thread last time. Very happy with the results. Most of my regular beers apart from lagers are now no boil.

Back