Rauchbier grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiredofbuyingbeer

Reaction score
Planning my next beer. I've been using slurry cultured from Imperial Organics' version of the California Common yeast strain, so I've been trying classic lager styles to see how they turn out. I can't lager, so I wanted to see how these work with the hybrid yeast at low temperatures in the 50s.

I think I might make a Schwarzbier or a Rauchbier next. If I make a Schwarzbier, I'll probably make this. If I make a Rauchbier, I need a recipe, and I haven't been super excited about any of the ones I've seen.

My idea would be something like this:

11 lbs., 8 oz. Bamberg Rauchmalz
1 lb., 8 oz. Munich 10
0 lbs., 6 oz. Carafa III
0 lbs., 6 oz. Melanoidin malt

That puts it in the low 20s for color. Then I was thinking of using Tettnanger or Perle hops to get around 25 IBUs.

Anyway, how does this sound? I welcome feedback.

I just bought my grain for my yearly brew of this. I do 50/50 split between Weyerman smoked malt and an even mix of munich/vienna/pilsner. I like that balance better than total smoked malt. The rest looks almost exactly like mine which turns out great. I think you'll be in for a treat.

Back