Rate My Crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Need help determining mill gap setting (I use an all-in-one brewer) - Thanks

First crush:

IMG_2521.jpg

Second setting:

IMG_2520.jpg

I dont see a lot of difference between the two. First one looks to have more flour but hard to tell from a small sample of the total. They both look like my typical crush so I approve. If I had to pick one I would pick the second.

It looks like a fine crush. Maybe a bit finer than the textbook might recommend. Many of us have started crushing finer with no ill effects just a little better mash efficiency. Too fine a crush can slow your sparge so that is one tradeoff.

There ain't much difference to be discerned...
One wonders what the gap difference was - I'm betting a couple thousandths ;)

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies.

I purposely didn't post the gap but the first is at 0.025" and the second at 0.035". I think it's hard to judge milled grain with a photo. In person there was lots of power in the bottom of the bucket for the smaller gap.

I milled this with my new Crankandstein 3GT (all three rollers geared). The crush with this 3GT seems to be a finer compared to a similar gap on a 2-roller non-geared mill. Thinking of brewing next week and may stick with the 0.035". Others have commented this too - at 0.025" gap seems like the torque is going to tear the thing apart!

Beautiful!

Thinking of brewing next week and may stick with the 0.035".
Given the similar results, minus the extra powder, that's where I would start too, at this point. And see how it goes.

What is your mash/sparge/lauter system? Conventional with fly sparge, batch sparging, or BIAB?

Mill some wheat or rye malt too, by itself, to get an idea of the crush it gives you at 0.035" vs. 0.025". You may or may need to tighten the gap for those smaller kernel malts (wheat, rye, and such) but most definitely for oat malt, those skinny needles with leathery husks...

Seems to live up to its name: all hulls are totally wrecked!

Man, that's one evenly, finely milled grist! Great for BIAB, I agree. Don't even try fly sparging that...

Yeah, I only do single infusion 90 minute mashes with no sparge.
I seem to be able get usable results and hit my numbers using that technique.
I suppose I could improve my efficiency a bit if I sparged but honestly, I just don't want to mess with it... 😜

You said you use an all in one system. Does it recirculate?

If so, you might consider crushing substantially coarser. Recirculating systems work better when there's more porosity in the grain bed because it reduces channeling. For example I use a Spike 3v system and I've found that a crush of 0.050 is ideal for me.

Sorry Sir, no way!
The colander will work, but nothing will come out the bottom of the tun. I even doubt a batch sparge won't plug up like a freshly poured cement pad.

now that i have a $30 used camera from 2006, which is aparently better then a new $30 camera? i take that as a challenge! i bet it would clog up a batch sparge but when you're running it slow fly sparging! no problem, expect some pictures in the main thread! you know the definitive one! lol :mug:

You said you use an all in one system. Does it recirculate?

If so, you might consider crushing substantially coarser. Recirculating systems work better when there's more porosity in the grain bed because it reduces channeling. For example I use a Spike 3v system and I've found that a crush of 0.050 is ideal for me.
Yes - it’s an Anvil Foundry and I use my RipTide pump and a brew bag with a false bottom. Guess time to experiment.

I'd do a comparison between conditioned grain for those two gaps as well and see if you get any difference. I use 2% weight of grain sprayed on and mixed up as I spray it. Leave for up to an hour. Many people say less time is sufficient you only want the hulls to get damp.

I've gone to a conditioned grain milled at 0.032. I add 1 lb of pre-rinsed and drained rice hulls (for a 12 gal. batch) just to ensure I don't get a stuck sparge. (I also recirc during mash in my 3VE brewery). So far, it has worked very well.

I'd mash that...

Also, I don't stir during the mash. BIAB full-volume mash is thin and more efficient, so I only stir thoroughly at the beginning, then again at mash out and I reliably hit my numbers.

Latest posts

Back