Ratchet pulley question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
I’ve been doing BIAB for a few brews now and really like it. I’ve got the ratchet pulley system from the brewbag website and it works great. Only problem is it only lifts up and down. I have no way of moving it away from the kettle to lower it into a bucket, or trash can. Any thoughts? It’s installed in the roof above my kettle.

IMG_0125.JPG

You would have to mount a swing arm/boom to the ceiling or wall and then a hook to the arm. I'm thinking the same thing right now.

What I do is let gravity fully drain the bag into the kettle during the boil. When it's finished dripping (or very near) I use one hand to release the ratchet pulley and pull sideways to direct it to fall into a bucket, while lowering the rope with the other hand.

If I'm doing a separate sparge step, I don't hoist the bag immediately after the mash. I drain the wort into a bucket, add sparge water to the kettle and stir, then hoist the bag and let gravity drain it into the kettle. The wort from the bucket is poured into the kettle.

You could suspend a length of 3/4" steel pipe or a smooth metal bar horizontally near the ceiling and then hang the pulley from the pipe using a big carabiner. When the bag is done draining, slide it along the pipe out of the way.

My setup has a gantry built right over the pot that does not allow for swinging, but I just hoist the bag and let it hang over the kettle to drain while the wort ramps up to a boil, and just before it starts simmering I squeeze the bag between two stainless pot lids kinda like cymbals. I squeeze it a few times watching the wort that drains and when it turns cloudy I stop and manually remove the bag to a waiting trash bag where I invert it to remove the spent grains then rinse the bag clean in the sink. Easy peasy.

Edit: I make tasty beers. Not awesome beers, but I enjoy them. Squeezing the bag or biab in general is not a limitation.

Latest posts

Back