Raspberry Pi - Screen still goes Blank (Help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontum

Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone help me figure out why my Raspberry Pints goes blank like a screen saver after a bit.

I built the Raspberry Pints before and was able to get everything to work correctly, with the addition of the PIR motion detector. But my memory card went bad and I am having to redo everything with a new card. The first card I had came with the Raspberry Pi and had Noobs preloaded on it. The card I am using now did not come with Noobs preloaded and I downloaded the most recent release Noobs 1.4.1

First problem I ran into.
I have the Raspi-Config boot into the desktop as it should.

I added this code and my mouse goes away as it should.
sudo apt-get -y install ttf-mscorefonts-installer x11-xserver-utils unclutter

I added the text to
sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

@xset s off
@xset -dpms
@xset s noblank
@chromium –kiosk localhost

But the screen still goes blank. Can anyone please help me figure out why it goes blank.

I went ahead and tried to add the PIR motion detector according to this forum and the test works, but my Pi does not wake up with the motion detector and I believe this is caused by the same issues above.

With the motion detector my sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
looks like this.

@lxpanel --profile LXDE
@pcmanfm -- desktop --profile LXDE
@xscreensaver -no-splash
@xset s off
@xset -dpms
@xset s noblank
@chromium –kiosk localhost
sudo python pir_run.py

Anyone spot a mistake. I going insane trying to figure this out as this does not come naturally to me. I spent like 8 hours on my first Raspberry Pints trying to get past the update/upgrade of the Wolfram that would hang up for hours and hours.

Thank you for any and all input,
Craig

Perhaps this is a Device Tree thing?

Check out this post.

Cheers!

Oh this could hopefully help. I spent a little more time looking at the Pi and the only thing I can think of is that the newer version of the software isn't allowing everything to work the same way.

I will have to look into the Device Tree thing. Do you happen to know if this Device Tree would prevent the screen from staying on and prevent the Pi from booting into Chromium?

Regards,
Craig

Do you happen to know if this Device Tree would prevent the screen from staying on and prevent the Pi from booting into Chromium?

I don't think the screen blanking is going to be affected by the change to Device Tree.

As for "booting into Chromium", do you mean your 'Pi won't start a browser session? That's almost certainly unrelated to any changes to the RPi driver management scheme.

I suspect you have something else going on...

Cheers!

I reinstalled everything from scratch and couldn't get it to work with the newest version of NOOBS (the one you're using). I used an older version and it worked fine, so I think there's something funky with the newest NOOBS that doesn't gell with the code we have for R'Pints. If you're not comfortable with the code (which I am not) then you have to go back to the older version of NOOBS.

Thank you for the input.

My only experience with the Pi and code is with this Raspberry Pints. Now I have had a huge learning curve and have had to redo my Pi like 5-10 times, but I still don't know much at all.

I decided to reformat the card and start from an older version of noobs, which I got up and running last night with no issues.

I am curious if anyone has the PIR running with Raspberry Pine on Noobs 1.4.1

JonW - Do you have the PIR motion detector running on 1.4.1?

-
Craig

I am curious if anyone has the PIR running with Raspberry Pine on Noobs 1.4.1

JonW - Do you have the PIR motion detector running on 1.4.1?

No, I don't use the motion detector.

Also, my Pi is setup with ONLY the Chromium browser. I run the other Rpints components (database & webserver) in an Ubuntu VM on my server. I had two failures on my SD cards, so I decided to do the main install on a stable platform.

Back