Raspberry Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kithara

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a Berliner weisse with some frozen raspberries, and probably some blueberries as well. I was wondering if anyone knew how many gravity points I could expect from a given amount of fruit as I still want to keep this a fairly low gravity beer. Thanks

the gravity contribution is pretty minimal for the rasperries although i haven't calculated the blueberries. Here is how I calculated it back in the day....

SG contribution assuming 100% extraction for grain is as such. 1# of Marris Otter in one gallon of water at 100% efficiency gives you a wort of 1.038. If you use 1# of rasperries in 1 gallon you will get your gravity contribution for that. It would be wise to scale down to a smaller size, I think I used a pint of water to 1 oz of berries, boiled until all the cell walls were broken down and sugars were in solution, cooled and then took a hydrometer reading. If yoiu get 1.019 for example, then you know that in a 1/1 ratio of additions, that will be your contribution...

Make sense?

1.019 was what I think I got waaaaay back in the day. It might be on this forum somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Back