rapidly losing co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilsojos

Reaction score
I kegged for the first time 3 weeks ago in a 5 gallon corny ball lock using a 4lb tank. I went to get a beer tonight and nothing came out when I pulled the tap handle. I looked in the fridge where the tank is and the regulator showed the tank to be empty. Luckily I have a 5lb as well so I hooked it up. After a few hours I went and checked and it looks like it has dropped significantly too. I haven't started troubleshooting yet because I don't really know what to look for other than connections being loose. Is it possible that they could freeze up? Any ideas of what to check?

You probably have a gas leak somewhere, and you need to find it and fix it before you lose a second tank of gas. Fill a spray bottle with soapy water or a star-san solution and spray down every gas connection, keg post, QD, keg lid, etc, and look for bubbles. You might also consider submerging compenents in a bucket or tub of water to find the leak. About the only thing you might not want to submerge is the regulator.

Looks like the pressure release valve is the source of the leak. I tried pulling one out of another keg, but it leaked too. I moved the beer to a different keg and no leak. Any ideas on how to fix the one with the leak?

Sometimes a little keg lube on the rubber part is all it takes, some of the newer ones have replaceable o-rings, and sometimes you can wrap a piece of thick wire around to give the spring a little extra push. If those methods fail, there are several places to buy a replacement.

I just had a similar issue. There's a rubber part with a spring under the lid. Mine had sheared off. Might check the lid.

Back