Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the primary function of fuse pins was to allow the engines to break off when belly landing, the engine in the tail is not subject to that specific risk. The secondary purpose to drop the engine in case of severe structural damage is probably mostly mitigated by the position of the engine at the rear of the engine pod beyond the vertical stabilizer structure.

Airbus eliminated fuse pins in their underwing engine mounts in the 70's already.

I think "the only airplane I've ever specifically said not to make a part of my flight plan when making reservations".

It just doesn't look right, there's a big ass turbo fan in the tail. Not sure how a fuse pin would work in the tail?
Nope, what's in the tail is all inlet duct. The actual pylon for mounting the engine is aft of the vertical fin. All of the DC-10's that Omega owns are former JAL planes. They are the only DC-10's you will ever see with JT-9 engines, a specification by JAL. All other DC-10's have CF-6 engines.

Hmm....
I look at this bird and think: "CIA"

img_20200515_115907384_hdr-jpg.680539
Oddly enough, Southern Air Transport (CIA front) flew a lot of DC-10's. Worked on a few of those at World Airways facility in Oakland in the mid 80's.
You could probably fit a butt load of white powder in one of these monsters.

I figured, considering your location you spent some time at the evergreen airport. I heard stories about DC-10's coming in with bullet holes.

I figured, considering your location you spent some time at the evergreen airport. I heard stories about DC-10's coming in with bullet holes.
Yeah, spent 11 years at Evergreen as a flight line supervisor. This DC-10 is in storage at Evergreen, now called Ascent Aviation Services.

Yeah, spent 11 years at Evergreen as a flight line supervisor. This DC-10 is in storage at Evergreen, now called Ascent Aviation Services.
I am a third Generation native of Arizona. evergreen was always one of the worst kept secrets, we all believed it was a CIA run airport. So many nondescript unpainted large passenger planes in the middle of the desert.
I miss the smell of the mesquite trees when it rained.

I am a third Generation native of Arizona. evergreen was always one of the worst kept secrets, we all believed it was a CIA run airport. So many nondescript unpainted large passenger planes in the middle of the desert.
I miss the smell of the mesquite trees when it rained.
There was a bit of CIA activity there, but not in the last 10-12 years. Del Smith, now deceased, was the owner of Evergreen, and was a retired CIA employee. He did get a lot of government contracts that were a little less than aboveboard. 'Nuff said about that. Most of the airplanes in storage have the logos painted out at the airlines or owners request, just so nobody driving by sees a bunch of derelict aircraft with names. This has nothing to do with covert operations, but is the norm at all aircraft storage facilities.

A mothballed (but flightworthy) aircraft, like a vacant mansion, is a great place to park a sizeable sum of to-be-laundered money. Paying $50M for a property worth only $15M might attract some attention.... Paying as much for flightworthy jumbo jet, on the other hand, raises far fewer eyebrows. Park it at a desert airport where time nearly stands still for an aircraft, and it is a relatively safe place to park a fortune in ill-gotten green.

A mothballed (but flightworthy) aircraft, like a vacant mansion, is a great place to park a sizeable sum of to-be-laundered money. Paying $50M for a property worth only $15M might attract some attention.... Paying as much for flightworthy jumbo jet, on the other hand, raises far fewer eyebrows. Park it at a desert airport where time nearly stands still for an aircraft, and it is a relatively safe place to park a fortune in ill-gotten green.
Sounds like you've been doing some comparison shopping...

Is this what we're relying on?
You aviators are a frightening bunch..... :oops:

View attachment 681108

To be clear I worked manufacturing for 28 years of my life. I'm not an aviator, engineer, or A&P but I do recognize many of the things Dave posts. Was involved in many strut hangs (aka pylon that the engine eventually hangs on).

The way it was explained to me fuse pins allow a complete strut and engine to break away quickly once an engineered load was reached and that this was especially important during some engine failures in flight.

To be clear I worked manufacturing for 28 years of my life. I'm not an aviator, engineer, or A&P but I do recognize many of the things Dave posts. Was involved in many strut hangs (aka pylon that the engine eventually hangs on).

The way it was explained to me fuse pins allow a complete strut and engine to break away quickly once an engineered load was reached and that this was especially important during some engine failures in flight.
Not so much in flight, but in unforeseen and uncontrolled "ground contact".😵

IMG_20181125_134937767_HDR.jpg

This is a 757 in Guyana that lost the right main landing gear in an uncontrolled ground contact. The lower and upper fuse pins on the engine pylon were sheared, and they are designed to throw the engine up and over the wing during emergency "shti happens" scenarios.

View attachment 681111
This is a 757 in Guyana that lost the right main landing gear in an uncontrolled ground contact. The lower and upper fuse pins on the engine pylon were sheared, and they are designed to throw the engine up and over the wing during emergency "shti happens" scenarios.

Was that a total loss or an AOG project?

Was that a total loss or an AOG project?
My company was contracted (by the insurers) to recover the aircraft and submit a repair proposal. It was well worth repairing. Due to the airline going bankrupt, one death, and resultant lawsuit, and Guyanese politics, the insurers paid off. The last time I saw this aircraft, we left it like this:
IMG_20181209_054250182_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181210_151602670_HDR.jpg

It will still eventually be repaired, someday, by someone. The repair bill is far less than the dollar value of the aircraft.

Last edited:
Wondering why there are no markings on that plane.

I mentioned above how owners don't like their logos displayed on derelict aircraft. In fact, while the owner was having an employee paint over the registration, I joked that for a small additional fee, we would paint an American Airlines logo on the tail. He was so tickled he just about pissed himself. While we did no such thing, he bought me a beer that night at the hotel.

Doug, in the interest of confidentiality, I'm not naming names, there are ongoing lawsuits over this accident. But, having said that, and even taking into account the update notice at the top of that registration notice, it's just plain wrong.
The airline went bankrupt about a month after this accident, and has since changed hands, operating under the same name. Regardless, since the insurance company paid off the policy, they are now the owners of the aircraft.
After the lawsuit is settled, the insurance company will repair and sell the aircraft. Or it's possible that Wings Aviation Inc is just a holding company or broker for the insurers, or possibly a leaseholder?
Above my pay grade, I just fix 'em.

I mentioned above how owners don't like their logos displayed on derelict aircraft. In fact, while the owner was having an employee paint over the registration, I joked that for a small additional fee, we would paint an American Airlines logo on the tail. He was so tickled he just about pissed himself. While we did no such thing, he bought me a beer that night at the hotel.

Doug, in the interest of confidentiality, I'm not naming names, there are ongoing lawsuits over this accident. But, having said that, and even taking into account the update notice at the top of that registration notice, it's just plain wrong.
The airline went bankrupt about a month after this accident, and has since changed hands, operating under the same name. Regardless, since the insurance company paid off the policy, they are now the owners of the aircraft.
After the lawsuit is settled, the insurance company will repair and sell the aircraft. Or it's possible that Wings Aviation Inc is just a holding company or broker for the insurers, or possibly a leaseholder?
Above my pay grade, I just fix 'em.
Apparently you didn't do a good enough job filing off the airplane's serial number. :cool:

The information I posted is just what's on the FAA's web site, and publicly available. The information usually lags ownership changes (registration updates) by a few months. It took a long time for my airplane to show up as mine on the web site.

Brew on :mug:

I agree about the paint job, done by an airline employee using I don't know what. (Looks like white shoe polish!). Most people don't realize how much info you can get just by googling registration numbers. It's usually more up to date than AMM serial number listings, even when your manual is "current rev level".
To a lesser extent, even the news media. 2 days ago, I was working on removing the engine from the DC-10, and there was an old Robinson helicopter painted bright yellow that circled the field a few times. The next day, we got our picture in the Daily News! I imagine they were doing a story on the airline shutdown, and the flood of aircraft going into storage programs.

Back