Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
d606b3e9c383feaa7c7408e8b5c4ed87.jpg

I've been to that site before. I don't own a truck (for the supplies), but I really want to make a portable (pull apart) outhouse for my smoker so I can wheel it in and out as needed.

PSA: I remember reading something about the chemicals on the surface of the metal trash cans. A long burn off was recommended I don't recall seeing a follow up article about any toxic op the cans, only speculation.
Metal trash cans are hot dip galvanized with zinc. I can tell you from personal experience, you really, seriously, truly, do not want to breath zinc fumes! Combine severe nausea with the worst headache you've ever had. That's about a tenth of what zinc poisoning feels like. It goes away, with no after effects, but it was about the worst I've ever felt, including kidney stones.

So if you are going to burn off a zinc coating, be very concious of where the fumes go.

Metal trash cans are hot dip galvanized with zinc. I can tell you from personal experience, you really, seriously, truly, do not want to breath zinc fumes! Combine severe nausea with the worst headache you've ever had. That's about a tenth of what zinc poisoning feels like. It goes away, with no after effects, but it was about the worst I've ever felt, including kidney stones.

So if you are going to burn off a zinc coating, be very concious of where the fumes go.

Thanks for the info. I thought that was what I read too.

I'm not going to do it, a trash can smoker was on Schlenkerla's link and I wanted to point the danger out.

I don't know which part of me is more envious, the Q smoker or the SonarmanView attachment 592888

It looks cool, but I'd stick with the smaller smoker.

I don't want anything that has to be loaded on a trailer...because I'm not a truck person. I don't even like SUVs. I'm funny that way.

It looks cool, but I'd stick with the smaller smoker.

I don't want anything that has to be loaded on a trailer...because I'm not a truck person. I don't even like SUVs. I'm funny that way.

I'm in for the "cool!" factor, but yeah... don't need it to be mobile.

would be kinda neat if it were submersible, though. and could smoke while snorkeling

Heading to the northern lower peninsula here in Michigan Friday for the weekend and to winterize my neighbor’s cabin. Hoping to see some color!

I agree. I've been to Mackinaw Isl and the UP up to Lake Superior and several of the falls. We actually took a drive around Lake Michigan years ago.

Enjoy the fall weather :)

My favorite time of year! The upper UP had colors weekend before last, upper lower usually peaks two weeks later and two weeks later in mid Michigan. Some rain in the forecast.

Bonfire, maybe some squirrel hunting with my kid. Some more firearms safety training as long as the weather allows us. S’mores. Had a quarter cow delivered Saturday, BBQ is on!

I agree. I've been to Mackinaw Isl and the UP up to Lake Superior and several of the falls. We actually took a drive around Lake Michigan years ago.

I, and my native wife haven’t been to Mackinaw island. Just for for the boat ride for the three of us is about $120! Not to mention bike rental, tour costs. We plan on going someday....

Plenty of other cool stuff in the UP...

Darn, even screenshots were too big to upload....

I, and my native wife haven’t been to Mackinaw island. Just for for the boat ride for the three of us is about $120! Not to mention bike rental, tour costs. We plan on going someday....

Back when we were poor...we camped nearby and took a boat over, rode a tandem bike (the day I learned my wife never rode a bike, was (still is) afraid of the water and can't swim), etc. I spent summers at the Jersey Shore growing up. We lived in Atlantic City for 3 years (late 60s early 70s).

EDIT: Schlenkerla must be drinking...he's LIKING everyone tonight. I guess I'll join him and have another hard cider.

True.... Do it!

I'm just in a good mood. Have BBQ ribs nearly ready to eat.

Meanwhile, watching football and doing a heat curve on my stove to predict how long it takes 5 gallons of water to get to 180. Today it's on the 3.5 heat setting on the large burner. Pulling a temp every ten minutes. Basically geeking out like an engineer.

I'm trying to figure out the correct burner setting to go from 72 to 180F in four hours.

True.... Do it!

I'm just in a good mood. Have BBQ ribs nearly ready to eat.

Meanwhile, watching football and doing a heat curve on my stove to predict how long it takes 5 gallons of water to get to 180. Today it's on the 3.5 heat setting on the large burner. Pulling a temp every ten minutes. Basically geeking out like an engineer.

I'm trying to figure out the correct burner setting to go from 72 to 180F in four hours.

Yep, sounds like a "geek-out".

Man, I've been wanting to smoke some ribs for a couple of weeks, but the weather is always funny. I have another couple of batches (about 10#) of jalapeno's and some other hot pepper I want to smoke, dehydrate and grind before the snow flies.

Won't be around tomorrow.

Yep, sounds like a "geek-out".

Man, I've been wanting to smoke some ribs for a couple of weeks, but the weather is always funny. I have another couple of batches (about 10#) of jalapeno's and some other hot pepper I want to smoke, dehydrate and grind before the snow flies.

Won't be around tomorrow.
Sounds like you gotta set your priorities. [emoji16]

@homebrewer_99

I'm switching from Fat Tire to Schlenkerla.

I'm out of Rauchbier, but it's on the "over the winter" schedule. I also have a Bock scheduled for Bockzeit too.

I brewed a Light Pilsner yesterday and finished up another hard cider about an hour ago.

So, Oktoberfestbier it is...

Sounds like you gotta set your priorities. [emoji16]

I did...daughter to chemo in the morning. #1 priority.

Actually, it's playing/working around the weather and getting things done before it's too late. The snow thrower's ready. That thing has saved me from another heart attack or three. Still need to trim the trees and grape vines, till the garden (it's cleaned off already), but it's rained several times since.

Wife says her "master bath" sink is not exactly level...I have the shims, but that can wait. LOL!

Going for a beer...BRB...

GOT IT! PROST!

100_4335.JPG

Last edited:

There is tons of great color up here right now!

$120 for ferry's over?? o_O I am pretty sure its about $27 per adult round trip, cheaper for kids. Plus it is probably off season rates now. Once you are over there, you don't HAVE to spend any money on anything, can walk around and see most things free. Bike rental would be the most worth-while cost as it will allow you to see the most for the least. Only other things really worth spending money on are the Fort or a carriage ride if that is your thing

In 1987, a school team I was on won the California championship and got to go to the Nationals held at Northwestern Michigan College. We got to go a few days early and do some sightseeing, including a couple of days on Mackinac Island where we had a "cottage" to ourselves. It is one of my best memories ever and I can still smell the fudge as we walked down Main Street.
44c45993-68b0-4034-a457-4d794d793169.c10.jpg

Heading to the northern lower peninsula here in Michigan Friday for the weekend and to winterize my neighbor’s cabin. Hoping to see some color!
East part of the Northern LP was turning pretty good last week. Alpena to Lewiston was a lot of yellow so might be better colors this week.

There is tons of great color up here right now!

$120 for ferry's over?? o_O I am pretty sure its about $27 per adult round trip, cheaper for kids. Plus it is probably off season rates now. Once you are over there, you don't HAVE to spend any money on anything, can walk around and see most things free. Bike rental would be the most worth-while cost as it will allow you to see the most for the least. Only other things really worth spending money on are the Fort or a carriage ride if that is your thing

Wife just looked it up. Round trip for 2 adults and one child is $52. Glancing at the billboards I was adding it up each way.

We’ll be in Boyne Falls Friday about 3pm, enjoy the 80 acres Saturday hiking, small game hunting, and bonfire. Unfortunately looks like a chance of rain this weekend though. Sunday morning breakfast then winterize the cabin and 3 1/2 hours home.

I’m sure after school gets out next year we’ll be up again for a week.

I didn’t understand why everyone in Michigan love traveling north so darn much when I first moved here, but it wasn’t until we went to the UP for our honeymoon that I understood.

Clare is my point when there seems to be a weight lifted off my shoulders, kind of a feeling of real freedom... even if the trip is work related.

Latest posts

Back