Random IPA Observation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
I brewed a NEIPA a few weeks ago, bottled 5 gallons. I put a few in the fridge to test and liked the flavor and aroma. Naturally I crushed them and started tapping into the ones at room temp. I poured one/two into a frozen mug and absolutely loved the flavor and aroma.

So, I am wondering if anyone has had this happen, a warmer beer(50f) being better than a colder beer(35f)?

Absolutely... practically any beer outside of macro lagers taste so much better at warmer temps than freezing. My kegerator is set at 42, but that's mainly for foam control purposes... most styles I drink are much better in the high 40s and low 50s.

I have definitely noticed that. Of course it really depends on the beer. I notice the malt profile of a beer often moves to the forefront as it warms up. There is definitely truth to the suggested serving temperatures of different beer styles.

I've carried a lot of beer around in backpacks or drank it warm on tailgate of my truck after a day in the bush. Not all beer is equal in these conditions. Some are plenty refreshing and others are a chore to choke down. Actually, I'd rather drink a PBR at room temperature than cold.

It's called "opening up". And 35°F is way too cold to enjoy all the character of a really hopped up beer anyway...

Cheers!

Back