Ran short on bottle caps {sad face}

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signpost

Reaction score
:(

I am planning a big partigyle brew day for Saturday, but I only had 1 empty fermenter. So, I decided to bottle up one of my dark, chocolaty sours that has been sitting for about 16 months.

Measured priming sugar. Rehydrated some yeast to make sure it carbs. Sanitized bottles. Broke out my sour-only siphon and thief. Took a gravity reading. Transferred to my sour-only bottling bucket. Made sure to add the priming sugar and yeast. Tasted the gravity sample (so chocolaty and sour cherry - just yum).

Then got out my bottle caps.

:smack:

This isn't enough. Where is my other bag of caps? Gah, why is all of this crap stacked up in the way of my brewing supplies. Uh... Why aren't my other caps in this box?

Um...

Where did I put those?

Ugh. I don't have any more.

So, I ended up with 36 bottle caps and a 4 gallon batch of 16-month-old sour beer. I ended up dumping about 5 to 6 bottles worth of beer. I could have maybe poured it into a 1-gallon mini-fermenter to be bottled later, but I was too frustrated to think of that at the time.

Oh well, the good news is that was only 1 of 2 carboys of that batch of beer. I'll just be sure to buy some bottle caps ASAP, so this doesn't happen again.

Ouch. Thanks for sharing. :mug:
I'm trying to prepare for 1 or 2 batches out when possible. Gotta protect that pipeline. :)

I have 1 backup bottling wand, and rotating 1 backup bag of caps, sealed measured priming sugar, spare case of clean bottles. Working on a 2nd bottle capper.

Prepare for things so they never happen. ;)

I would have gladly driven to the LHBS, but it was about 10:30 p.m. and the LHBS was closed.

And I was too annoyed, and frustrated to realize bombers would've been the best solution. Live and learn, I guess.

Latest posts

Back