Ramping up lager yeast temp after 9 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysmithtx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last Friday I brewed a lager using WY2124 and have it fermenting at 50 degrees now. The Wyeast website says its good from 45-68 degrees. Next Sunday I want to brew a batch that uses WY1968 which is good from 67-71 degrees. I only have 1 fermentation chamber.

My question is if I ramp up the lager yeast after 9 days from 50 to 67 degrees and let it finish what affect will it have?

I think that after 9 days it will be just about done anyway and I would have to raise the temp for the Diacetyl rest at some point. So is 9 days way too soon?

At 67 degrees I am within the parameters of both yeasts.

Yeah, I know, just be patient but I have the opportunity to brew on Sunday and want to take advantage of it... if possible.

By next Sunday there should be no issue raising your lager up to 67. In fact, there's a very good chance you could do it now. My lagers are typically moved to D-rest, whether needed or not, around day 5 post pitch and then cold crashed around day 10 or so.

By next Sunday there should be no issue raising your lager up to 67. In fact, there's a very good chance you could do it now. My lagers are typically moved to D-rest, whether needed or not, around day 5 post pitch and then cold crashed around day 10 or so.

Thanks for the reply. I have brewed a lot of ales but only a few lagers. I will start my D rest today. Thank you.

Thanks for the reply. I have brewed a lot of ales but only a few lagers. I will start my D rest today. Thank you.

When the krausen begins to drop and clear is my visual cue to start the D-rest, which I do by raising the ambient temp in the ferm chamber to 65-ish and just let the beer come up to temp on its own.

When the krausen begins to drop and clear is my visual cue to start the D-rest, which I do by raising the ambient temp in the ferm chamber to 65-ish and just let the beer come up to temp on its own.

Thanks for the reply. I use a closed fermentation system with corny kegs so I can't visually see anything so going by a general number of days is necessary.

Okay, as long as you had a healthy pitch, you should be good to go for the d-rest, then. I don't think I've ever had a 1.050-1.060 lager that was not ready for the ramp by day 5.

Okay, as long as you had a healthy pitch, you should be good to go for the d-rest, then. I don't think I've ever had a 1.050-1.060 lager that was not ready for the ramp by day 5.

I used a yeast starter with stir plate and according to the online calculators I may have slightly over pitched so I should be good to go.

Thanks.

Back